DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When tiling my new shower stall, how do I apply the thinset between the tile and the concrete backerboard? Do I apply the thinset to the concreteboard, groove it with a 1/4" notched trowel and then press the tile to that? Or do I have to 'backbutter' the tile as well prior to pressing into the grooved thinset?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
When tiling my new shower stall, how do I apply the thinset between the tile and the concrete backerboard? Do I apply the thinset to the concreteboard, groove it with a 1/4" notched trowel and then press the tile to that? Or do I have to 'backbutter' the tile as well prior to pressing into the grooved thinset?
You first need to use the correct notch pattern and size for the tile. You would use different notched trowels for different size tiles. The thinset bag will have a chart to guide you.
You apply the thinset to the wall with the flat side of the trowel first, getting a good bond to the substrate. After you have as much on the wall as you want, turn the trowel around and hold it at a 45 degree angle to the wall and notch the thinset evenly. If some of the ridges aren't full, renotch that area. When it's all uniformly notched, start applying tile.
You don't need to back butter small, flat backed tiles or mosaics.
Since you didn't ask, I assume you know how to lay out the wall and where to start tiling.
The John Bridges Forum will give you a good overview of the process.
Ron

1 - 2 of 2 Posts