DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

We have already installed our Marble tile in the bathrooms and wanted to have a smooth transition to the Engineered Hardwood floor glued down at the same level without using mouldings. The height of the tile from the sub-floor is 7/8" and the engineered hardwood is 1/2". I need to find a way to make up the 3/8" difference to make the floors even. What are my options?

Do I have to add a 1/4" plywood throughout the whole house to make this possible? Since a 1/4" plywood is someone thin will there by any issue of integrity, such as the screw making a hole through the plywood and no longer hold it down. How about warping?

I'm just trying to see if its worth spending that much money on plywood and run into issues later on. This will be roughly 1500 sq ft of coverage.

Thanks,
Hovig

·
Registered
851 Posts
There's no magic way to make up 3/8 of an inch. And 1/4 plywood is still going to leave you 1/8 short. 3/8" OSB will get you there. Don't screw the OSB down to the floor joists, and allow it to acclimate, until it is within 3% moisture content of the finished flooring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's no magic way to make up 3/8 of an inch. And 1/4 plywood is still going to leave you 1/8 short. 3/8" OSB will get you there. Don't screw the OSB down to the floor joists, and allow it to acclimate, until it is within 3% moisture content of the finished flooring.
I don't see 3/8" OSB, but there is 7/16? Is that the one?

·
Rob
1,036 Posts
No 7/16 is not 3/8 but you are getting closer. I think some one will come up with a easier solution like feathering some kind of top and bond or something.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
You are incorrect. This is a glue-down install, not a nail-down. Try again.
Seattle... Generally I would not do it..... There is the special OSB that has more moisture/waterproof glue which would be better, and also, most/often times the slick side of OSB is installed facing up.

And if you ever have to take the floor up, you'll be tearing up your floor.

I think you ought to lay a plywood sub.

Not saying it isn't done.... just my opinion.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I don't disagree that plywood is a better choice. However, good luck finding 3/8" plywood. If you had to tear up the floor at a later date, the plywood would get torn up as well. Hopefully, by the time that day comes, the house will have a new owner and it will be their problem ;)

I would THINK too that the PL adhesive used to put the flooring down would act like a moisture barrier to some degree. But that's just my assumption, and we all know what assuming does.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's one of my concerns. A screw can easily drill itself right through a thin piece of plywood. Last thing I want is parts of the floor to warp or start floating because the screw has detached.

·
Rob
1,036 Posts
Just wondering what the manufacturer recommends for under the floor. A job this big you don't want to void the warranty. I have never worked with the stuff you would think someone on this site has. I have seen the particle board used for vinyl and it was glued and nailed to plywood and then covered with a cementitious product but don't know if it would work for you or not.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Just wondering what the manufacturer recommends for under the floor. A job this big you don't want to void the warranty. I have never worked with the stuff you would think someone on this site has. I have seen the particle board used for vinyl and it was glued and nailed to plywood and then covered with a cementitious product but don't know if it would work for you or not.
YES....As Robo brings up...I would not want to void that warranty...too many issues can occur with the various manufacturing standards/procedures with eng products.

My bet is the MI requires ply.

OP... Let us know.... just curiosity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts