DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm cleaning some concrete for a customer, and they have a gazebo where the base was made of travertine tile. There is a substance that appears to have 'leaked' out of the gazebo, and it has the appearance of a construction adhesive. It is hard and brittle, and will chip off if scraped. Can anyone tell me if this is some sort of tile adhesive, and if there is anything i can use that will allow me to remove it without scraping?

Here are some pictures and a video.

Thanks!

Video:

Pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have some rental options.
1 Concrete Grinder ( Terrazzo grinder )
2 Deck Crawler
3 Side grinder with a cup wheel
Thanks Clarence.

Would you agree with me that this is likely the adhesive they used on the tile, and it somehow leaked out? It is all around the base of it, and there is a large amount that originates from the gazebo and follows the same path that water drains from that area. Like maybe a big rain came and washed it out before it had set up or something?

Although, I would think that if a sudden rainstorm occurred right after they set the tile, that the homeowner would have noticed it at the time. Could this be something that happened gradually over time?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the Kleenstrip product that i linked earlier. Treated just the center of this square... first coat 40 minutes, lightly scraped with a screwdriver and stiff scrub with a brush.... second coat 15 minutes, same. It did seem to make it easier to remove. I think I will maybe use an angle grinder with a nylon or wire brush or something, and see if that gets it off faster/cleaner.

May be some slight discoloration of the concrete, but it's getting sealed after, so hopefully it will blend in and not be that noticeable.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts