DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having a hard time tightening the mounting nut on my sink strainer. tried useing a slip-nut wrench but it opens only 1-3" and the nut is slightly wider than that on the outside. also, wasn't able to find a bigger wrench. tried also to hold the basket at the bottom of the sink with channel locks, again to no avail because the nut gets too tight on the threads before it tightens the whole setup vertically.

am i doing something wrong and is there a different tool i should use?

thanks

picture attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,718 Posts
I don't like a lot of the specialty tools. I prefer a pair of needle nose pliers and large channel locks. Open the needle nose pliers and insert into the slots on the strainer. This will be your backup wrench. Then use the large channel locks to tighten the nut.
I've seen your wrench before but never bought one. Doesn't that notch on the left hook the nuts lip and then you tighten by resting the right side against the nut while twisting?

Reactions: amakarevic

·
jschaben
588 Posts
i am having a hard time tightening the mounting nut on my sink strainer. tried useing a slip-nut wrench but it opens only 1-3" and the nut is slightly wider than that on the outside. also, wasn't able to find a bigger wrench. tried also to hold the basket at the bottom of the sink with channel locks, again to no avail because the nut gets too tight on the threads before it tightens the whole setup vertically.

am i doing something wrong and is there a different tool i should use?

thanks

picture attached.
I'm with ePlumber, not fond of one-trick-ponies either but in this case it's much cheaper than a large enough water pump plier which will likely get about as much use.

Check Home Depot or Ace for one of these, not sure what it's called. Print the picture if you need to and take it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've used a strap wrench on those before which worked really well but might need a lot of room if working inside a cabinet. but still works and you'll be able to use it for other things so it won't be a tool you use once every 10 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts