DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am turning a garage into a computer center/hobby room and will have a bundle of primarily network cables (CAT6), but also some antenna wires (LMR400 or RG6QS depending on if it is TV or radio) passing through the ceiling into the room directly above my 42U rack. I'm GUESSING that a 3" hole will be plenty. I plan on bundling the wires with Velcro ties when not messing with them, but I may, from time-to-time, need to add or remove wires to this bundle. At the moment, I haven't pulled any wires through. I am looking for a neat way to make this pass-through in the ceiling drywall but if there is a name for what I'm looking for, I can't seem to come up with the right name in my searches. I was hoping someone here would know what I'm talking about and have the right name and possibly the best place to purchase. Most of what I've been finding have been for single wires or no more than 1" in diameter when I'm looking for around 2.5-3" in diameter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, but how is that going to stay in the ceiling? That looks it was designed to go into a desktop, not suspended from a ceiling?

I was kind of thinking of using a large PVC pipe but not sure how to make it look right in the ceiling. I've seen something similar in datacenters. I just have no idea where they come from or what they are called.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,110 Posts
Interesting, but how is that going to stay in the ceiling? That looks it was designed to go into a desktop, not suspended from a ceiling?

I was kind of thinking of using a large PVC pipe but not sure how to make it look right in the ceiling. I've seen something similar in datacenters. I just have no idea where they come from or what they are called.
Glue them in place with a hot glue gun.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I would suggest splitting up the wires into smaller bundles. That will improve the thruput. If not, the cables become a nice large electro-magnet when close to anything metal. And noise on a network is almost impossible to get rid of.

I have used a conduit nipple, usually 4 inch. Come down a backboard with telecom ladder, or just wire rungs. Then into a 110 punch block, with RJ connectors on a panel for a quick disconnect. That way I have plenty of room for any additions. I have also used a piece of unistrut and a short piece of 4 inch conduit. I like to make it look better than most on here. And I definitely go above and beyond the norm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.