DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when the rubber insert shredded and I caught my boot in it, I went down like a sequoia in my front hall right on my face.
ouch... when I angrily tore it out so that I would not trip on it again I didn't realize how hard it would be to find the piece that fits to replace it.

Does anyone recognize this old school threshold? the manufacturer specs are not very clear. It is 36" wide & the groove is 1 3/16... I have seen the videos where you get one that you pinch and drop in there but I have not been able to find the right part.
Many Thanks!
H

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ye, this looks like it fits in the photographs but the raised portion is only 3/4 wide ..see mine is much wider. 1 3/16"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is the picture with this description is not the actual item when you go to the store, I have gone to look at it.

M-D manufacturer has its own inserts with a V groove that fit their thresholds, they do not have this shaped one... they do not actually sell this one in Home Depot or at the manufacturer's I have seen the one I think is right for $42 at a wholesalers... but I can replace the whole threshold for that.

I guess I could stick my neck out and spend the five bucks and see if this is what they actually have at the warehouse...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Reactions: hjsilk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much!

I had seen this one and the picture really threw me off but now I understand it because of what you said... the second picture is when the door is shut and it's flattened out! I definitely have enough gap on one side near the hinges and it's a little tighter on the other side but I think it'll be alright... if I can actually get this without paying shipping then it's definitely worth a shot!
Thank you so much for getting me to the answer!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
In the old days we stapled a piece of carpet to the bottom of the door.
It would last about 6 months but we had plenty.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Be sure to clean the grooves on the metal part before attempting to install. Dish soap and water + an old toothbrush will make a word of difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered it, I'll let you know how it goes... thanks for the shove, I will make sure I prep the area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So technically speaking it does fit but it does not lock into that Groove because it is the second picture not the first one... and of course it fits really well on the Hinge Side the door and it's too tight on the other side...

The original gasket folded into that space.

so since it will not lock in there it's still a trip hazard.

·
retired framer
59,658 Posts
So if it fits in grove, can you make the grove tighter?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I seem to recall some minor issues with settling down after replacements. Even though the vinyl tab was in place it was not fully seated. Time will settle it down or you might accelerate the process with some gentle strikes from a rubber hammer. Protect the vinyl with a towel or cloth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No unfortunately it's not working out... it's too loose, only grabs slightly.. if they had given me the other shape it's would have snapped in there but this one does not and so it needs to be at least 1/ 8 wider if not 3/16.

I have emailed the supplier to see if they have the other shape or a slightly wider one.

In the meantime, as you said Colby, the height was going to be a problem and my door is tighter on the left side and has a full wrap brass kick plate with baffles on the bottom... you warned me and even though I could get a yardstick under it I failed to acknowledge a different on each side... before I overcome that I want to see if I can get another insert.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I'm closing this thread and I want to say thank you for the help to everybody.
So I could not get the insert I wanted from that online store, no response. Finally, with nothing to lose, I got a pry bar and I pried the aluminum insert out of the threshold... and lo and behold dropped right in there and stuck like glue which is irrational because it really did not grab the grooves... nor did I glue it down!

I'm not messing with it because it worked with a tight but not over tight closing of the door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts