DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been driving me crazy. I have a three way switch in one room powering two three way switches and one light switch in another room. The problem is I need to power my outlet from the box that is powered by the three switch in the other room that has the load. This is what happens when I use the three way it closes the load at one switch while the other is hot. So i cant find a steady load in the box i need to power my outlet. Basically how to power a outlet from a three way switch, is this possible. I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
This has been driving me crazy. I have a three way switch in one room powering two three way switches and one light switch in another room. The problem is I need to power my outlet from the box that is powered by the three switch in the other room that has the load. This is what happens when I use the three way it closes the load at one switch while the other is hot. So i cant find a steady load in the box i need to power my outlet. Basically how to power a outlet from a three way switch, is this possible. I can't figure it out.
Your description is a bit confusing especially:
I have a three way switch in one room powering two three way switches and one light switch in another room. .

The diagram below shows a receptacle being powered from the same location as the 3-way switch not the recepatcle being powere3d BY the 3-way switch.

If you have 3 switches able to control one load, then one of those switches are most likely a 4-way switch.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,549 Posts
It is most likely the you can not do it. There is either no neutral wire or no unswithced hot wire in the box. If you tell us all the wires and how they are connected we can confirm this for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.