DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to replace two three way switches and half hot outlet. Now the switches don’t work and the outlet (both top and bottom) are always hot. I have tried every wire combination on both switches. I have broke the tab on the outlet (bronze) side. The wiring goes like this (switch by front door, 2nd switch in room (this is where the power comes in too), and then goes to outlet). What am I doing wrong? HELP....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The three black wires are wire tied together. The common coming into the box is tied to the common going to the outlet. The red to the outlet, the red to the other switch, and common to the other switch were hooked on the three way.

·
retired framer
59,938 Posts
The three black wires are wire tied together. The common coming into the box is tied to the common going to the outlet. The red to the outlet, the red to the other switch, and common to the other switch were hooked on the three way.
so like this see where the black is on the second switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s exactly how I have it hooked and I still have full hot top and bottom outlets. I have the tab broke off on the red and black side. I will pick up another outlet tomorrow and see if that makes and difference.

·
retired framer
59,938 Posts
That’s exactly how I have it hooked and I still have full hot top and bottom outlets. I have the tab broke off on the red and black side. I will pick up another outlet tomorrow and see if that makes and difference.
Take the black off the outlet and see what happens

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.