DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

We have two switches for our kitchen light and one of them NEEDS to be in the up position for the other one to work to toggle the light on. I have replaced outlets, fixtures, added new outlets before so I have a basic understanding of electricity and wiring but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,522 Posts
Sound like the wrong wire is on the COMMON screw of one of the switches.
Tell us about the wiring at each switch and we can guide you.
Pictures with the switches pulled out but still connected would also help.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
We have two switches for our kitchen light and one of them NEEDS to be in the up position for the other one to work to toggle the light on. I have replaced outlets, fixtures, added new outlets before...
Have you replaced switches recently? What gets ya everytime with 3-way switches is that you must pay attention to the colors of the screws (2 brass 1 black), *not* the physical position of the screws on the chassis. Every model puts them in a different physical position.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That wire cap in the picture need to be a larger one. There are too many wires for that size nut. There should not be bare wire hanging out the bottom of the nut.
I agree. This house is a pre-2000 house so I'm sure there are other issues. An inspection also found double tapped neutrals and no main ground wire :-/

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.