DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electrician riddle for you. Hopefully more of a solvable problem than a riddle....I have 3 loads (saw, router, vacuum) and two switches to control power to the three loads. I want it so that when switch 1 is turned on, the saw AND vacuum get power. When switch 2 is turned on the router AND vacuum get power. If for some reason both switches are turned on, then all loads get power. Router should not get power unless switch 2 is on. Saw should not get power unless switch 1 is on.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,115 Posts
Not possible with single pole switches. Using two 2 pole switches (expensive) it can work. Connect the first pole of switch 1 to the saw, connect the first pole of switch 2 to the router. Connect the second pole of both switches to the vac.

3 switches in a the common and cheap solution.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
retired framer
59,813 Posts
Also I've tried this configuration and realized that wiring in series splits the voltage which works technically but everything runs at half power, which is not practical. V=vacuum S=saw R=router
No you don't run them in series. You would have the vacuum running on both switches, that would feed power back to the other switch.
You would need relays in line with both.

·
Registered
10,013 Posts
Choose either relays (contactors) or double pole switches to do this project.

The (pair of) double pole switches would be simpler and less expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.