DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time here. Hope you're having a good day.

I'm replacing an old outlet in my kitchen with a GFCI. I've done this before, so that's not my concern.

When I pulled the receptical out I noticed three cables in the same box. 2 cables are 3 wire and 1 cable is four wire.
The red wire cable is supplying ~120 to the 4 wire off a different breaker. (When the outlet breaker is off, this need still supplies)
A black wire of one 3 wire cables is tied to the red wire of the 4.
The black wire of the remaining 3 wire cable AND the black wire of the 4 wire cable are connected to the receptical.
All the whites and grounds are wire nuts together with pigtails connecting to the receptical.

Is there a risk of using the same setup on the GFCI outlet? Or is there a risk of having the black wire of the 4 wire on the load terminal of the GFCI?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Jason

·
Registered
628 Posts
Jason,
I think that you need to figure out where everything is going and what it is feeding. Some items in a house should not be on a GFCI. Very few of them, but there are some. And having a 4 conductor wire in an outlets seems a bit odd. That I would want to know what that is feeding. And then get it out of that box and onto a dedicated circuit.

Andrew
Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC

·
Super Moderator
20,951 Posts
What you have there is multi wire circuit with a shared neutral. It should be protected by a double pole breaker so both hots go off together.
The red hot is feeding some other stuff somewhere via the two wire(ground don't count) cable. Probably other kitchen receptacles.
The black hot is feeding this receptacle and other receptacle via second two wire cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The black hot is feeding this receptacle and other receptacle via second two wire cable.
I appreciate the comments. Thanks!

So I tried to hook up the GFCI respecting line and load requirements. I unhooked one of the blacks from the receptical and tested the outlets. The outlet in question maintained power, but the outlets down the line did not - I figure the black on the receptical is the line, and the one with a wire nuts is the load.
When I install the GFCI, I put the two blacks on accordingly: line and load as per my test. And one white to the pigtail. Go out and flip the breaker. Reset the outlet. ...trip. Reset the outlet. ...trip.
Could I try just reversing the blacks from line to load? Or should I try adding another white from load to pigtail?

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
20,951 Posts
The white are your problem.
The white from the three wire and the white from the cable with the black that joins the red need to go together on the LINE.
The white from other cable that joins with the black wire goes on the LOAD along with the black wire. I hope that make sense to you.

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Jason,
Some items in a house should not be on a GFCI. Very few of them, but there are some.
Andrew
Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
Please share what you think should not be gfi protected.

Reactions: CodeMatters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts