DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of off topic, but this spring I did my first oil change on my new snow blower. I had a hell of a time determining how much oil to put in the thing. I ended up doing 20oz but I'm not sure if that's right. Here's what I have for info:

This is the label stuck to the blower, right near the oil drain port.
It has the part number for a 28oz bottle of oil... so it takes 28oz?
Then under that is says Oil Capacity: 38oz... so it takes 38oz? Or is that a typo? 38oz is a really odd number?

So then I contact the manufacturer and they send me this engine manual, which says 20oz!! What the F$$$?????

I overfilled a snow blower with oil once while changing (probably because it's documentation was as ****ty as this) and the next winter, it was burping motor oil all over the driveway and walkway. I'd like to avoid that again. But I also don't want to kill my motor because I only put 20oz of oil in it when it wants 38oz!! :vs_mad: :vs_worry:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I read it as 38 ounces. The 28 ounces refers only to the volume of the OEM package, and, as far as 20 ounces, when there is a discrepancy between the two, I will always take the information that came with the machine over a manual that I download or otherwise obtain separate from the machine.

·
Administrator
42,396 Posts
Do you still have the old oil. If so, measure how much you got out.

38oz is probably correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.