DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here,

Setup: Dual Heat - Heat Pump with Gas Furnace as aux heat

I am replacing my thm5421c EIM with the thm5421r1021. It looks like a pretty straight forward swap except for one issue. The thm5421c EIM wiring has a jumper across the AUX1 and AUX2 connectors. AUX1 is hooked to the Heat Pump and AUX2 is hooked to the Gas Furnace so I am not sure why :glasses:they would also be jumpered together. When I swap out this EIM will I need to also jumper the AUX1 and AUX2 together?

Thanks in advance
Jim

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
The wire coming from the heatpump is likely for defrost heat and the terminal was used instead of going straight to the furnace.

aux 2 is probably not active. you'll have to trace all the wiring to be sure?

What's the purpose of changing the eim?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Thermostat touch screen has stopped working on the left half of the screen and it is discontinued. The newer thermostats are not compatible with the thm5421c EIM. So, I have to replace both the thermostat and EIM. So back to my original question, should I wire up the new eim just like the old one and use the jumper?

thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
I don't know enough about how your system was set up to give you an answer.

Keep in mind that stats when used on dual fuel are not plug and play - they require a lot of setup.

·
Registered
15,580 Posts
Check the settings of what you have now - see if it's set for 2-stage aux heat or 1-stage.

If 1-stage, they just used it as a dummy terminal. If 2-stage, jumpering defeats the purpose.

Most heatpump basic defrost boards use the aux heat output just for defrost.

I haven't checked the manual of the stat you have now - don't know what it supports when it comes to dual fuel setups.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, I can not access the settings because the left side of the touch screen is dead. However, I do remember having to check the hp/convenient crossover temp a few years ago. Also, the heat pumps do run in the winter time but may not be a true indicator if the installer did something wonkie.

Thanks
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.