DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

This is an open forum---

5K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  Master of Cold 
#1 ·
JazMan, You seem to know your stuff but this nazi site won't let me PM you to ask a question. I have carpet with a cushion erneath andwhat looks like this black sound barrier under that, The black stuff I have to scrape up and under that I think there is this backer tile ontop of the concrete that looks to be about 3/32 inch thick and made of some type of concrete type material, it is dense. It looks like it was put down onto the concrete with some type of black adhesive. My question is what do I need to remove or clean up in order to install tile on the concrete. HELLLLLP!

#4 · (Edited)
JazMan, You seem to know your stuff but this nazi site won't let me PM you to ask a question.
Tiling2, You should start your own thread with your questions. I rarely reply to PM's by people looking for free advice on a one-to-one basis. I do installations and consultations. The consultations can be on job-site, by telephone or by email.

PM if you like, but have your charge card handy. Otherwise please post your questions here for all to see and learn. Your questions will be answered by several of our regular "experts". :thumbsup:

Jaz

#5 ·
I was ready to trash this whole series and ban this foul mouthed poster--

However--Our loyal members did a far better job than I could have---

This place is great---thanks---Mike----

#6 ·
I had sent this to the trash---However,with some thought,I decided to return this interesting exchange to the forum.

Our members do a fine job of dealing with difficult and impatient folks.

People come here to learn,teach and share. That's why we're here.

PMs are only allowed after a number of posts ---this gives a new member a chance to get to know the site,it's members and the the spirit of the place.

Learn--teach--share-- That is how I see DIY ---and respect.

Respect is the reason I removed this---and respect for the members is the same reason that I have returned it for you to view.----Mike---

Reactions: gma2rjc
#7 ·
Thanks Mike,

I for one am grateful for this site and all of its pro's who generously give up their time and hard earned expertise to help total strangers.
What a shame though when one them gets bashed. However, like you said, your regulars know how to handle the difficult customers. Some do it exceptionally well !!

#9 ·
What else is forgotten by some. Is that a question they have, may be pertinent to someone else down the road. And the answer could be the same.

So by openly posting their questions, they help many others learn.

And besides that, its a great site to hang out at.

#10 ·
I get PM's frequently from people that assume they are special and want me to attend to them personally. I always come back to the forums to answer the question publicly. There is no reason to hide and there is no reason to think the answer would be any different discussed clandestinely than it would be if it were discussed publicly.:)

#11 ·
I'm chuckling because despite all this commotion, we still make slightly condescending remarks when someone replies to an older post...... as though the information was only for the day it was posted and is now obsolete. :laughing:

#13 ·
I don't think anyone has a problem with dredging up old posts as long as the new comments are on topic. It's when someone drags up the old stuff to SPAM the website or to say "Yes that's a good idea", when it is a three year old post that gets annoying.:yes:

#14 ·
I have received several e-mails from posters and I ignore them. One even looked up my phone number and called me. I feel the same as Jaz. I will answer anything that I can on the forum. But if they want one on one, prepare to pay for it.

#25 ·
First of all thanks to Mike. :thumbsup:

Yes I get calls and emails wanting personalized solutions to their tile problems. I have even returned some of the calls. And yes, I have charged one or two (?) and a few sent me a small token just to say thanks. I almost always refer them back to the forum for public discussion. I have even copied and pasted a few emails to make them public.

I sometimes am guilty of answering in a smart a** fashion. But better that than a dumb a** I always say. :laughing:

Both Bud and I have been accused of that a few times. I think we do a good job for this forum along with all the other contributors. Thanks everyone.

Jaz

Reactions: oh'mike
#30 ·
One of the problems is:
OP: "I have carpet with a cushion erneath andwhat looks like this black sound barrier under that, The black stuff I have to scrape up and under that I think there is this backer tile ontop of the concrete that looks to be about 3/32 inch thick and made of some type of concrete type material, it is dense. It looks like it was put down onto the concrete with some type of black adhesive."
none of that makes any sense and it isn't something I recognize from the description given.

This thread got weird early out too for some reason. Seems like a hijacker was deleted or something, can't really remember what.

OH I remember! Post #1 by tiling2 was not the original OP of this thread. Tiling2 hijacked this thread and somehow the original OP was deleted by mistake I guess. This explains both mine and Jaz's seemingly weird comments about tiling2 starting his own thread. Now it appears tiling2 started this thread when he did not.

I know...clear as mud.:)

I agree with Ron now. Screw it, stuff happens.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.