DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
I always buy the canned Cranberry Sauce, easy and one less step to deal with and it is good.

To confess, getting old has me using more canned food products than ever before. Long shelf life and less prep.

Feeding one does have challenges.

Bud

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always buy the canned Cranberry Sauce, easy and one less step to deal with and it is good.

To confess, getting old has me using more canned food products than ever before. Long shelf life and less prep.

Feeding one does have challenges.

Bud
Hey, I’ll eat it once in awhile. I laughed at, “cutting it on the ridges.” If you want good canned chili, try Hormel's. I had some on my emergency shelves but I’m starting to use the “Hurricane supplies” I’d stocked up,

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
We seldom buy the cans. Wife likes it, I don't. One year I made sauce from the cranberries. We had guests and by the time I got finished in the kitchen all the cranberry sauce had be eaten. That was the year I actually wanted it. Never tried since.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I don’t like the homemade cranberry sauce. I like the canned whole cranberry sauce not the jellied one. I try and always have a can ( or opened container of it) in the fridge for when I make chicken. once opened - it lasts for quite awhile.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I prefer jellied, wife is a whole berry fan. Yet somehow, we tolerate each other.

We do keep a can in the fridge. Some days, that's dessert. Then we toss in a new can for next time. I can't imagine ever having leftovers, so I can't confirm how long they'd last once opened.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I know I don't care for the canned sauce. I don't know about the whole berry stuff, I didn't get to eat any that I made that once.

Reactions: Startingover

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
We make a crunchy cranberry salad with nuts, celery etc
Sounds good how do you make it?
I keep a bag dried cranberry in the fridge for some stuff that I bake like banana bread or zucchini bread, or cranberry and nut biscotti - I throw a handful of berries in.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I keep a bag dried cranberry in the fridge for some stuff that I bake like banana bread or zucchini bread, or cranberry and nut biscotti - I throw a handful of berries in.
You want to make the Top Knot something special? Make oatmeal cookies and use all brown sugar plus substitute dried chopped cranberries for the raisins.

Reactions: Two Knots

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daughter took over the cranberry salad.

pkg cranberries ground up in pineapple juice
Whole navel orange ground up with skin
Cup Walnuts
Pineapple chunks or tidbits. I can.

Cup or so diced celery
Sugar. (A lot)
Jello. cherry flavor. This is where we never know. 1 lg box or more??

you can probably find a real recipe with these ingredients. I first had it 40 yrs ago an loved it.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
You want to make the Top Knot something special? Make oatmeal cookies and use all brown sugar plus substitute dried chopped cranberries for the raisins.
You know he loves chocolate chip cookies...In a recipe I only use 1/2 the amount of chocolate cause I’m not a chocolate fan, but I do like walnuts in it, and always put a cup of walnuts in...

Monday, I made a recipe, using 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar, (the original
recipe calls for 3/4 cup of brown and 3/4 cup of white sugar.)
then I put in 1/2 pk choc chips, 1 cup of walnuts, and a heaping cup of rice crispies.
They were outrageous...I quickly froze 1/2 of them or he would have eating the whole
batch in one afternoon...This time he ate Half of the batch in one afternoon.

Next time I’m going to use the cranberries, nuts, and rice crispies, first we have to finish off the lime cheesecake I made yesterday....thanks for the idea, Colby.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
I never eat cranberries. Not a fan. But since I prepare the Thanksgiving meal I make it for those who expect it and like it.
I make the whole cranberries and the canned.
I follow the instructions on the bag of frozen berries.
The can is self explanatory if you have ever seen it.
My mother loved the can of cranberries.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cranberries are a super food with antioxidants. So however you like them you can’t go wrong eating them.

I’ve always tried to eat healthy But admit vegetables are the hardest thing for me to get enough of. Now with Covid I am being more conscientious.

I drink a lot of water throughout the day but now I’m adding a little bit of blueberry juice or cranberry juice to my water ......just small changes.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Funny, I recently started to add a dash of cranberry & pomegranate juice to my water as well.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
I never eat cranberries. Not a fan. But since I prepare the Thanksgiving meal I make it for those who expect it and like it.
I make the whole cranberries and the canned.
I follow the instructions on the bag of frozen berries.
The can is self explanatory if you have ever seen it.
My mother loved the can of cranberries.
Me, too, when I cook Thanksgiving dinner. Both.

·
Registered
17,745 Posts
Fresh or frozen cranberries are really good with bananas in a smoothie. I was on a health craze & added spinach, I think. And homemade yogurt. The taste of cranberries can overpower a lot of things, in a good way. You have to stock up on the fresh or frozen cranberries during or right after a holiday.
Now, why did I stop that. . .?

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny, I recently started to add a dash of cranberry & pomegranate juice to my water as well.
I love pomegranates and they’re really healthy. About nine years ago I got them in December for $1 each so I bought a lot and was always cleaning them and we ate little bowls of seeds all the time. I don’t know how other people clean them but the best hint I read was under water in big bowl in the sink.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts