DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a single mom of 2 teenage boys. Divorced 2 years ago followed by an illness that about killed me. But it didn't. I turn 50 this year and my house that he graciously gave me with the upside down payment is well over double that. I fix 1 thing, 3 break but I think this year will be the one that starts to turn around too. I'm ok with a hammer and now that it's just me I'm allowed to use power tools too. Money is a bit of an issue so low cost options are what I'm after. I have a pet mini (not so mini) pig and 5 layers. And a snake that needs fed. And grandpuppies & great grandpuppies but the dogs live with their grandpa. I love fixing things and making things - so let's have some fun 馃檪

Remodel and New Build GC
Good luck to ya...and you'll find good help/suggestions here...everyone is willing to help

Registered
I was in a similar situation years ago. Living (and especially, raising kids) in a house while trying to repair and renovate is a real challenge. But there is a long-term payoff. Keep your eyes on the prize, and make sure every step you take furthers that big picture end result in your mind.

For me, there was a point where taking on new responsibilities wasn't so attractive any more. My advice is to think very seriously about their lifespan before getting any new pets. Some day you might not want to be tied down, and you'll begin to see them as inhibiting your ability to live your own life.

Remodel and New Build GC
I was in a similar situation years ago. Living (and especially, raising kids) in a house while trying to repair and renovate is a real challenge. But there is a long-term payoff. Keep your eyes on the prize, and make sure every step you take furthers that big picture end result in your mind.

For me, there was a point where taking on new responsibilities wasn't so attractive any more. My advice is to think very seriously about their lifespan before getting any new pets. Some day you might not want to be tied down, and you'll begin to see them as inhibiting your ability to live your own life.

Capt Tom has some very difficult, but I think very good advice with regard to the pets. I thought the same / similar when in difficult circumstances.

I think much of your concern is with home maintenance....but eitgher maintenace or improvement can be very valuable in the intermediate term, when done by the owner. With tax treatment upon sale (intermediate term), it can be a great wealth builder as one of few endevors (businesses) that is virtually untaxed.

Again....good going/luck

Registered
You have not had it easy but you are trying hard. If I were you, I would get rid of the animals and put the time and money they consume to a different use.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

" I Can Fix It "
Welcome to the forums girlneedshelp

The closest town-city you're near is also a great help to those who offer opinions. The temp, snow load if any, helps us give knowledgeable ideas or maybe "solutions". You will find a wealth of knowledge and experience here. All are glad to help.
I recently gave my wife a replacement Mini Dachshund for her birthday. we are house training, and it's not the best time with all the rain. (puppy hates it) I feel for you and your animals GIRL. Bless You...............

1 - 8 of 8 Posts