DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys long story short....I removed about 450 sq ft of ceramic tile. Looking to put floating laminate flooring down. Removing the tile was a rough job but after removing the tile I noticed that about 95% of the thinset was still on the concrete subfloor. After using different power tools and rentals I have almost come to the conclusion that I will just use some self leveling compound......the wife wants the new floor to run seamless throughout dining room, kitchen, and foyer. The thinset is in the living room. My question is this.......because the self leveling compound will not be poured into the dining and foyer or kitchen, will i be able to "blend" the compound into the concrete floor where there is no thinset? Is this called feathering? Thanks for the help....this is my first remodel job and it has been causing me headaches night and day.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Hey guys long story short....I removed about 450 sq ft of ceramic tile. Looking to put floating laminate flooring down. Removing the tile was a rough job but after removing the tile I noticed that about 95% of the thinset was still on the concrete subfloor. After using different power tools and rentals I have almost come to the conclusion that I will just use some self leveling compound......the wife wants the new floor to run seamless throughout dining room, kitchen, and foyer. The thinset is in the living room. My question is this.......because the self leveling compound will not be poured into the dining and foyer or kitchen, will i be able to "blend" the compound into the concrete floor where there is no thinset? Is this called feathering? Thanks for the help....this is my first remodel job and it has been causing me headaches night and day.
You do not want to try to "feather" the self leveler. Dam the area, pour the self leveler, then later use a trowel-able cement floor patch to do the "feathering" in a second separate action. Be sure to use primer before the self leveler is applied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so you cant feather the self leveling compound. I need some patch mortar to feather?

also, what happens if you dont use primer before laying compound down? Thanks

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
ok so you cant feather the self leveling compound. I need some patch mortar to feather?
No, not the best idea. You only have a few minutes to get the SLC on the ground. At some point you don't want to touch it with anything. SLC is not intended to be a trowel-able product. Feather it later with a different product that is trowel-able.

also, what happens if you dont use primer before laying compound down? Thanks
You waste all the money you have spent on the SLC. The substrate will wick the moisture from the SLC before it has time to complete the leveling process. You will then compromise the compressive strength of the SLC and it will likely curl at the edges and possibly detach itself from the substrate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts