DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tiling 2 bathrooms. 3x6 ceramic subway tile on the walls and 12x24 porcelain tiles on the floors.

I've read on the internet that people prefer Mapei (Lowes) over Custom Building Products (HD). A friend recently got a commercial space tiled and his tiling guy swore by Laticrete (available at building supply places). The tiling guy said CBP stuff was the worst.

Does anyone have an opinion on which brand is best? I've only used Custom Building products in the past. One major concern is working time. I'd pay extra for a thinset brand with more working time

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
I prefer Home Depot over Lowes for most things, but thinset isn't one of them. Custom Building Products does not make great thinset in my opinion, but for most applications it doesn't matter much. Of course their bottom end $6 thinset has got to be pretty weak, or else how could it cost that? Good thinsets start around $15 or so. Again, for many applications it doesn't matter.

I use a lot of Ditra and Kerdi, so the Uncoupling Membrane mortar from Mapei/Lowes is one I use a lot. Mapei in general makes good thinset, but their best ones aren't necessarily at Lowes. I get other Mapei products from my tile dealer.

Many people swear by Laticrete quality, but I don't have a convenient dealer near me so I don't use it.

I'm not aware of working time differences. Obviously unless we're talking about a quick set. For me the working times are in hours. If you are having issues, just make smaller batches. Or perhaps you're mixing too thick?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts