DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
sweaty
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to put in a laminate floor. If an underlayment comes attached to the planks, should you also put down an additional sheet of underlayment?

I have gotten conflicting info. A HD guy said you should and I have read elsewhere that a 3mm padding is best. The attached padding seems to be 1 mm. Another HD gal said that the attached padding is enough and adding a sheet will void the warranty and too-thick padding will make the planks flex.

What is your experience?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I haven't seen the laminate with padding installed.

Have you read the installation instructions yet? Calling the manufacturer and asking them would be my suggestion.--Mike--

·
Registered
101 Posts
We're going to put in a laminate floor. If an underlayment comes attached to the planks, should you also put down an additional sheet of underlayment?

I have gotten conflicting info. A HD guy said you should and I have read elsewhere that a 3mm padding is best. The attached padding seems to be 1 mm. Another HD gal said that the attached padding is enough and adding a sheet will void the warranty and too-thick padding will make the planks flex.

What is your experience?
No, you don't need additional underlayment. the only thing you may need, is an additional 6ml moisture barrier...IF you have a moisture issue on the subfloor. The laminate that comes with the attached underlayment is good, has the padding needed, sound absorption, and moisture barrier too. By the way, if sound proofing is important to you, check the IIC rating of the underlayment. High should be 60 or up. medium, something like 40 to 50. Low well...below 40! HD has a 2 in 1 (low) a 3 in 1 (high) and a mid one called "Black Jack". Lowes has other products with different names, probably just as good. They all come 100 SF per roll. That HD gal, said the laminate will "flex?" I don't see how, it's a rigid, hard plank, call me crazy, but I don't think it will do that.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
dont believe everything they tell you at the big box stores. if the laminate has too much padding under it when you step near the joints and they spring down more then they were engineered for it will flex the joint too much and eventually it will crack because the laminate is so rigid as ttr13r said

1 - 4 of 4 Posts