DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like I always have one last question. I'm very grateful that you guys are so tolerant.

Anyway, the #8 THHN Type wire that InPhase277 recommended from first panel to subpanel says "to use in conduit". Is this required by code since its just to connect the grounds? All of the previous wiring was buried. I thought I would just run this ground wire through the rafters to avoid cutting into the existing buried cable and the water lines.

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
It seems like I always have one last question. I'm very grateful that you guys are so tolerant.

Anyway, the #8 THHN Type wire that InPhase277 recommended from first panel to subpanel says "to use in conduit". Is this required by code since its just to connect the grounds? All of the previous wiring was buried. I thought I would just run this ground wire through the rafters to avoid cutting into the existing buried cable and the water lines.
I learn more every time you post! I'm pretty thick, so I guess I just assumed that the wiring to the subpanel was run overhead in the rafters, or otherwise exposed. I was thinking you could run the new ground wire beside the original cable. But, at any rate, for the sake of safety gained by installing this ground, I wouldn't be too concerned about running the wire. THHN is meant for use in conduit, because you don't want to run live conductors exposed. In this case, because you are following behind some bad work and trying to make it safe, I don't think it is a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts