DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seeking a recommendation concerning a Digital Non-Programmable, 3 Stage Heat/either 1 or 2 stage cool Heat Pump Thermostat.

I have a 15 KW Aux. Strip Heater....Here is what I want to do.

One of the strips (5KW) would come on when the heat pump can not carry the load. The balance point is 36 degrees. After another 1.5 or 2 degree droop, the 2nd 5KW would be energized.

Then again when necessary, the last 5 KW would be energized.

Is there a thermostat that will control all 5KW strips separately?

Thanks to anyone that will respond and recommend.

· In Loving Memory
42,671 Posts

· Registered
17,802 Posts
You have to spring for a higher end stat to do that, programming you can take off.

Honeywell controls based on cph parameter and the swing varies. If you want swing, white rogers or another brand may do better.

· Banned
14,538 Posts
I have a 2 stage Heat pump with a 2 stage 15Kw strip (one 10 and one 5), and I use the Honeywell Prestige 2 IAQ. It does have scheduling but you don't need to use it if you don't want. It also has heat strip lock out until a settable temp and customizable cph settings. It's probably about the best thermostat on the market for controlling multi stage HP's with multi stage back up systems. About the only thing I don't like about it is that the compressor lock out temperature does not go low enough for my liking. It max's out at +5F and I run my HP down to about -12F before I lock it out, so I had to use an external lock out system of my own, but other than that... it's one incredible piece of machinery

... And yes... the staging does work in the way you want. Stage one HP, and if that doesn't keep up stage 2 HP kicks in, and if that doesn't keep up stage 1 electric kicks in.... and so on.

· Banned
14,538 Posts
Honeywell controls based on cph parameter and the swing varies. If you want swing, white rogers or another brand may do better.
This is true only for the low end Hoenywell stats. With the IAQ you can adjust setpoints at which the stages are to kick in. You can set for "comfort" or you can manually set each temperature for a given stage:

The indoor temperature must drop to the selected differential setting before the thermostat will turn on the stage of heating. For example, if stage 1 is set to 2° F (1.0° C), the indoor temperature must be 2° F (1.0° C) away from the setpoint before stage 1 turns on. When set to Comfort, the thermostat will use the stage of heating as needed to keep the indoor temperature within 1° F (0.5° C) degree of the setpoint.

· Banned
14,538 Posts
Hi Mr. Sanders,

Can you tell me the exact model number of your Prestige IAQ thermostat? Seems there are different models of the Prestige. I only have one heat pump it will be used to control.

Thank you
It depends on what you want.

The basic kit is here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-Y...488679?hash=item2c9b9f9827:g:KwMAAOSwZd1VZhSk

Then you can do add ons like the gateway for wifi ability:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-T...132503?hash=item4af1e89917:g:tB0AAOSwDFNWFCF6

Remote indoor sensors if you wish:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honeywell-C...226679?hash=item541e288c37:g:ht8AAOSw9mFWMXxl

Entry/exit remote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONEYWELL-R...943326?hash=item1a0ad5f35e:g:InoAAOSw1S9WcGgy

I have the gateway, and 2 indoor remote sensors.... that's all I needed for options.

· Registered
142 Posts
I have Installed a HW Prestige 2.0 IAQ recently, and I love it!

I ordered the Honeywell YTHX9421R5127WW, which has the red link gateway. in addition to the kit, I also order the outdoor sensor and a indoor sensor.

This setup seems to do everything!

· Registered
82 Posts
I installed a Honeywell RTH6350 but removed it after about two weeks of using it. The temp accuracy or "swing" was too small for my liking. If the temp dropped 0.5 degrees it would kick on the heat pump. It ran all the time.

How is the temp accuracy or swing on the IAQ?

· Registered
783 Posts
Well, the 0.5 degree swing might not be a bad thing with a heat pump - it will reduce the likelihood of the backup strips coming on when not really needed. A bigger swing will take longer to reach set point and may result in the resistance heat strips coming on.

· Registered
82 Posts
Sktn77a,

The RTH6350 did prevent the heat strip (aux heat) from coming on most of the time but it ran a lot to try to maintain the temp. Plus the house was always cold becuase the heat without the heat strip was barely luke warm. This was when it was pretty cold outside. Seems more energy would be used when the heat pump runs all the time w/o aux heat vs when it would run periodically with the aux heat.

· In Loving Memory
42,671 Posts
A heat pump running without aux heat when its 17°f outside may provide 2 to 2.5KW of heat for every 1KW of electric it uses. So it can run at least twice as long and not use more electric then an aux heat strip

· Registered
17,802 Posts
Sktn77a,

The RTH6350 did prevent the heat strip (aux heat) from coming on most of the time but it ran a lot to try to maintain the temp. Plus the house was always cold becuase the heat without the heat strip was barely luke warm. This was when it was pretty cold outside. Seems more energy would be used when the heat pump runs all the time w/o aux heat vs when it would run periodically with the aux heat.
No. the heatpump will always be more efficient. Continuous operation is not a problem; people pay big bucks for modulating furnaces and variable capacity a/c units to get the continuous operation - more comfortable than having a machine provide short bursts of heat.

Drafty heat is in part caused by undersized registers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.