DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a furnace installed in my mobil home. My problem is that the furnace will shut off and I have to do it manually. I believe it is wired incorrect. the thermostat has a red and black wire that go to the furnace control. the installer has the red wire from the thermostat going to the white wire and the black wire going to the red wire in the furnace control. Shouldn't red go to red? I think this may be the reason my thermostate will not work properly.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My problem is that the furnace will shut off and I have to do it manually.

Do you nean "will not shut off"

Wire color won't matter here as it is all low voltage. There is a third item that needs to be located to check this circuit. There should be a transformer located somewhere near the furnace. This supplies the 24 volts that the gas valve (assuming this is gas) needs to operate. Theres should be a wire giong directly from the transformer to the TR screw on the gas valve or burner controller. The other wire from the transformer should be going directly to the thermostat to either one of the screws on the base of the thermostat. The last wire in the loop should go from the other screw on the thermostat back to the TH screw on the gas valve or burner controller. If you draw this out you will see that the thermostat is simply an on/off switch in the circuit.

What are you doing to turn the furnace off? Also, Are you sure the furnace is malfunctioning...or is it you are not familiar with how the newer furnace works. some newer furnaces will leave the blower fan on longer even though the burner is off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts