DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Whenever my thermostat instructs the a/c or furnace to operate, I want it to also open or close a specific duct via a small electric motor that is attached to the duct.

1. What size electric motor can I use?

3. How do I wire this electric motor to the thermostat?

4. How do I control the electric motor so it opens and closes the duct. Ideally it will only use electricity while it opens or closes the duct as upposed to using electicity to constantly keep the duct open or closed. I assume this will also require some kind of switch?

Thanks for your help.

· Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Instead of making one, probably your easiest option is to check with your local HVAC supplier for a zone damper in the size you need. They’re made for what you want to do.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.