DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water heater burner is not igniting. I already tried the obvious relighting the pilot light.
I read most common issue is thermopile or thermocouple issue.
I was able to remove the thermopile (thanks to youtube). I didnt remove the thermocouple yet.

But I dont know what thermopile to buy.
I have a 50-gallon State Select Tank model number GS650Y0CT 300.
The pilot assembly is Honeywell WV8840B117.

Both the thermocouple and thermopile dont have any label on it.

Can someone help me what thermopile to buy and thermocouple if i also need to buy it.

Should I also change the thermocouple. The thermopile is the one near the pilot light so I assume that's the one that went bad.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I tried googling that part number as well, nothing comes up for it. Probably original to the tank. According to the parts list for your wh, that part has been substituted by another manufacturer and will work. See link posted above.

There are a lot of parts for that wh they no longer make and there are no substitutes. In fact, there is only about 6 parts still available for it. You are lucky the pilot assy is one of them and it's in stock. lol.

Imo, If it's over 10 years old, don't put a lot of money in it. You can pick up a brand new gas wh at any box store for about 450-500 bucks. Hope you get it up and running soon brom123.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jmon but that pilot assembly does not look like it matches my pilot assembly. Mine looks exactly like this video.
I followed this to exactly but I don't know what thermocouple to buy.
Can I buy "universal" 750mv thermopile?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw on video description it got links to parts on Amazon.
It looks like my thermopile and I plan to buy.
What's the worse that could happen if it's not compatible?
I imagine the pilot will just not light up, this will not cause fire right?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
You are welcome.

Correct, it wouldn't work at all. The standard universal should work, as that is what they sell at any box store, but you can order on amazon if you like as well.

That's weird, because I went to the actual manufacture website for that model number and that's what came up. You had to buy the entire pilot assy. Maybe call them directly and ask them if they are still around and in business.

Nice how to videos, you should be all set. Hope everything works out for you. Let us know if it works.

Did you try just cleaning the old thermocouple lightly with some steel wool??. Sometimes that will work for awhile but if it keeps going out it should be replaced. Also if the air filter underneath is clogged, the flame will starve for oxygen and won't stay lit either. So make sure that's cleaned/vacuumed, while you have everything apart that's the time to clean all that out as you will have access to it with burner removed. vacuum on top and underneath.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Very good advice from jmon.
First try cleaning the thermopile and the burner chamber. Make sure the area surrounding the WH is clear and clean, make sure the screen is clean - your WH has to breathe,
If that doesn't help, replace the thermopile (the Amazon part is fine).
State WH recommends a new burner assembly because DIYers are not always successful in getting the thing going.
Trouble is that when the WH is 8-10 years old, investing good money on it could be a waste.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello guys! I replaced the thermocouple assembly, unfortunately it didnt work.
Plumber said it's the honeywell gas control valve that needs replacement. I don't doubt him because I have 2 tanks and I had similar issues on the other tank needing gas control valve replacement as well.

The bad news he wont replace it because "their policy" is they only replace control valve if tank is 6 yrs old max cuz of liability. Both my tank are 9 yrs old.
Is this reasonable? How old tank should be to replace it?
Should I find another plumber instead to replace the gas control valve.

The quote price is $3000 (labor and material) to replace 2 tanks. $1600 if only 1 tank but better to replace both, he said.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Get more estimates to see if buying new would make more sense than dumping more money on the WH in question. I'm sure you could find a better deal.
About the other WH: leave it alone, if it's working properly.
Was the quote on a State WH?
State is an AO Smith WH, and any AO Smith, Rheem or Bradford White will be a good fit.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Hello guys! I replaced the thermocouple assembly, unfortunately it didnt work.
Plumber said it's the honeywell gas control valve that needs replacement. I don't doubt him because I have 2 tanks and I had similar issues on the other tank needing gas control valve replacement as well.

The bad news he wont replace it because "their policy" is they only replace control valve if tank is 6 yrs old max cuz of liability. Both my tank are 9 yrs old.
Is this reasonable? How old tank should be to replace it?
Should I find another plumber instead to replace the gas control valve.

The quote price is $3000 (labor and material) to replace 2 tanks. $1600 if only 1 tank but better to replace both, he said.
3 grand for 2 installed wh's, 1600 for one. Probably worth it if you can't diy, idk, but this is a diy site. So, another option; You can get a brand new 40 gal nat gas AO smith wh with 9 year warantee (tank only), 1 year warantee on everything else, for 400-450 dollars at any box store and install it yourself. Ok, so you need two, so, less than a thousand bucks, you saved over 2 grand. Done, and good to go for another 10 years. (y)Just a suggestion.

The contractor gets contractor deals as well, whoever they do business with. So you will get a contractor grade wh anyway, probably with a 6 year warantee on tank only. They can pick them up much cheaper than the basic homeowner.

Imo, if you have some basic skills or willing to learn, any home owner can install one safely. Follow instructions in manual, local building codes and watch a couple of how to utube videos. Not that difficult at all. Hardest part will be carting the new ones in and old ones out. Make sure you have two people and a dolly, they are heavy, new ones today are also a bit wider/thicker to.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Gas hot water tanks have an average life of about 12 years. If you have an Ace hardware by you can get a 50 gallon reliance for $469.99 currently on sale. This tank has an 81 gallon hourly recovery rating. So if you and your family can space your bathing it might be all you need. Your on a do it yourself site and I'm sure the folks here would hold your hand on the install.

Reliance HWT ACE link

1 - 12 of 12 Posts