DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Superior brand LP gas fireplace model DR 600 CMP (Honeywell valve assy.) which has a shot thermocouple (see linked image top left). Apparently the thermocouple split/exploded or what have you and needs to be changed out. I called my local supplier and have a new one on order.

I attempted to loosen the retainer nut (arrowed in linked image) by turning it clockwise (from above) with a ½” open wrench. The thing is so tight that the whole pilot assembly is twisting as I apply torque to loosen the nut. There is nothing to grab on the assembly itself to prevent this problem and I’m at a loss. I did try grabbing a portion of the assembly between the thermocouple and the pilot (in the front) with a pair of needle-nosed Vice Grips, but it didn’t help much.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to loosen that nut so I can replace the thermocouple?

Thanks in advance!!
Movick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Penetrating oil like Kroil perhaps? I'm just afraid that overspray may contaminate the delicate parts of the assy. I'll of course mask off all critical areas. Yes?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts