DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am in the process of buying a house (20+ years old) so I think I should get this planned out early. :) Right now all three bedrooms are located above the garage. One obvious concern is thermal insulation. I did some research on the Internet, according to "dr. energy saver", they can remove the siding, drill some holes and spray cellulose inside to fill all the existing gaps. I am sure there are other ways to improve the thermal insulation, please share with me any other good ways.

Another concern is noise coming from the garage. I am worried about the noise from starting the car in the morning as well as opening/closing garage door because my wife is a very light sleeper. What would be some of the good ways to greatly reduce those noise? I am thinking along the line of putting extra materials on the ceiling of the garage such as Quietrock or two layers of drywall w/ green glue. By the way, the garage door is opened by hand (not opener), how should the noise of opening/closing door be reduced? Would the extra materials on the ceiling take care that as well?

Thanks a bunch!

·
11,730 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts