DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this problem? I've bought from Lowe's numerous times and all the soil I have ever bought from them is incapable of absorbing water. it just sits on top until it dries and never goes into the soil. Is buying soil from Lowe's a bad move? Is there any way to salvage the stuff I already got? thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Is this potting soil? I have experienced that before, it's the type that is stored in a 100% dessicated state, it needs to soak in water for a long time before it will behave normally.
My technique was put some soil in a bucket and fill the bucket with water. Initially it will float to the top but you stir it around for a while and it starts to settle. Then let it soak for a few hours before trying to plant anything with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this potting soil? I have experienced that before, it's the type that is stored in a 100% dessicated state, it needs to soak in water for a long time before it will behave normally.
My technique was put some soil in a bucket and fill the bucket with water. Initially it will float to the top but you stir it around for a while and it starts to settle. Then let it soak for a few hours before trying to plant anything with it.
thank you ill try that!

·
Naildriver
19,965 Posts
Peat will naturally repel water, and much of the potting soil has a good amount of peat in it. What Gthomas785 said is good advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts