DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody

Im looking for some advice. I will be replacing the sheathing on my garage with 7/16 OSB board prior to it being finished with stucco.

What sort of nail gun do i need ? Does it have to be a framing nailer or will a finishing nailer do the job?
Will a 3 gal compressor with 125 psi and 2.4 SCFM be any good here? bearing in mind its only a project and speed of reloading isnt an issue.

Any feedback would be really appeciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
depending on local codes which you should check, you have a few choices. I would either nail it on with 8 penny nails or framing staples. I would not under any conditions use a finish nailer on wall sheathing. the diameter of the nail is too small.

the compressor should work, you may have to wait from time to time for the air pressure to build up enough to drive the nails in.

·
We pick these?
136 Posts
Just as an opinion (based on experience), I prefer the full round head nail for framing, sheathing, or decking where screws aren't specified. To get the benefit of the structural rigidity (sheer resistance) make sure you don't sink the nails too deeply, just flush with the surface. You'll likely outrun the compressor even if you're not super-framer.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Your sheathing needs to be nailed with 8D common nails, so you'll need a framing nailer. Your CFMs are a little light, but the compressor will still work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all for the sound advice.

What CFM do you think is acceptable for using a framing nailer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to all for the sound advice.

What CFM do you think is acceptable for using a framing nailer?
somewhere around 2cfm @90psi will work for a framing nailer. a decent one i would recommend is one of the porter cable or bostitch 6 gallon oil free compressors. they are fairly cheap and work with all sorts of guns, and you can use them inside on finished floors/carpets and not have to worry about any oil dripping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts