DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about halfway through installing 1000 SF of 3/4 x 2-1/4 oak flooring. The living room is 16 x 26, and I was quite pleased that there was only a 3/16" discrepancy in the length of the room. I first installed a three-strip oak border around the entire perimeter. I'm using a 35-year-old Rockwell manual nailer and can nail in all but the last three strips. What I did for those is place two strips using a rubber mallet (I'll be face nailing those here and there), and then cut the bottom half of the groove away from the third strip and ripped it on my table saw to the precise dimension of the gap --- varying from 3/4" to 15/16". There were eight pieces in that last strip, and they were wedged in tight with the mallet (I'll use finishing nails for those). I'll make it all 'perfect' with wood filler.

Is all this the right technique for those last few rows?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
That sounds like a perfectly fine way of doing that----Please post some picture when you are ready.

Those slightly tapered pieces sound like a challenge.----Mike----

·
KemoSabe
644 Posts
I have always left a gap at the perimeter for movement of dis-similar materials, regardless of how long it's been acclimated. Just how I was taught to do it.

Face nailing the last few rows is typical. I like to put down some adhesive on those face nailed rows. Use shims to keep things tight until the adhesive cures, then remove shims before finish trim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts