DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, I'm at my wits end.

I know that drum sanders are dangerous, can really screw up your floors, and so on. I know you have to keep the moving, never let them linger, move at a walk pace, carefully lower the drum to the floor and carefully raise it (don't jam it up and down). I've watched the videos and read the instructions. I've rent a drum sander now three times from two different places (presumably three different drum sanders).

And EVERY TIME I use it, I leave marks in the floor.

Here are the photos of the room, after sanding and the application of poly. They're faint enough that you can only see them at certain angles, but they're EVERYWHERE, like every time I lowered the drum, raised the drum, or changed directions - boom, mark.

What am I doing wrong? I can't decide if I want to just press on with more coats of poly and live with the marks or if I want to risk sanding the floors AGAIN. What does everyone else do to avoid this, and/or what are the known methods for fixing these?

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hope you get some advice on this one. I just used one to level a transition from the front of my old house to the back. and ended up with the same marks. ended up not being an issue because I laid underlayment over my mistake.

I'm interested in finding out what would correct this for future reference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts