DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"The Dick Act of 1902 also known as the Efficiency of Militia Bill H.R. 11654, of June 28, 1902 invalidates all so-called gun-control laws. It also divides the militia into three distinct and separate entities. The three classes H.R. 11654 provides for are the organized militia, henceforth known as the National Guard of the State, Territory and District of Columbia , the unorganized militia and the regular army. The militia encompasses every able-bodied male between the ages of 18 and 45. All members of the unorganized militia have the absolute personal right and 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms of any type, and as many as they can afford to buy."

http://www.webenews.com/dick_act_of_1902.htm

Reactions: gma2rjc

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
‎1994 assault weaons ban
"any semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine and at least two of the following five items: a folding or telescopic stock; a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon; a bayonet mount; a flash suppressor or threaded barrel (a barrel that can accommodate a flash suppressor); or a grenade launcher."

All cosmetic, nothing to do with function

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Rusty--you wouldn't want a crippled ,over 45 year old woman armed with something cosmetic would you?

·
Super Moderator
21,328 Posts
I don't dispute anyone's right to own a gun. I just don't see the need for assault rifles and high capacity magazines. If you can't hit you game with one or two shots then go back to the range do some more target shooting to get better.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I don't dispute anyone's right to own a gun. I just don't see the need for assault rifles and high capacity magazines. If you can't hit you game with one or two shots then go back to the range do some more target shooting to get better.
Assault rifles (automatics) have been illegal to own for many years. The assault weapons (a term invented by a politician) in the 1994 ban were designated by appearance only. It had nothing to do with function.
The rifles in the 1994 ban were all semi-automatic and except for appearance, are identical to the old wooden stock semi-auto 22 cal rabbit rifle used for many years.
The main problem that I have with a ban is that the people writing the laws, have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Making guns illegal would be about as effective as the laws making meth and cocaine illegal. How is that working out?

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I stole this from a gun site, but it shows how stupidly the ban was written. The upper one would be legal, the lower one illegal according to the 1994 ban. And the new proposed ban.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
The thing is, it's not only about how good your aim is, it's about being able to defend yourself until the threat is over.

If you are limited to the amount of ammunition you can have or how many shots you can fire off repeatedly, you can't defend yourself against someone who doesn't obey the law and has an advantage over you, the law abiding citizen.

I agree with you rusty, I don't own a gun, but would fight for the right of others to own one.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I respect everyone's opinion. I think both sides should be informed that the original 1994 law was poorly written and so is the new version. No matter which side you are on, I would think that is something you would want to know. If you believe in gun control, get the law improved. If you don't, work to defeat it.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I live in a rough area of Cleveland, Ohio. This is an extremely violent place. It only appears to be getting worst. Much worse. I am known in the neighborhood as a guy with a lot of tools, and is always willing to make some work for someone, i also pay cash, even before the work is started. From a tactical point of view please explain to me how I can protect my family from three armed people that wish to rob me. To start the police do not even answer 911 calls. I am not kidding, not even someone there to answer the phone. So the police no, run and hide, no, too exposed to injury and harm to family. Well let me tell you, you would need an assault rifle to protect your home. Law enforcement agrees with me on this issue. My second point is that the US government is fallen to tyranny, our assault weapons keep us a free nation.

·
Registered
843 Posts
“Is moving an option for you. It doesn't sound like a very nice place to live your life.”

Why should someone have to move.
This is about our rights.
This is no different then the government telling you what you can eat or not eat.
This is no different then the government is taking your kids at birth, because some people are not capable of raising their kids.
People from other countries have no rights to be in our business!

The American Revolutionary War (1775–1783), The War of 1812
Did not want the British then and don't want them now!

·
Super Moderator
21,328 Posts
The thing is, it's not only about how good your aim is, it's about being able to defend yourself until the threat is over.

If you are limited to the amount of ammunition you can have or how many shots you can fire off repeatedly, you can't defend yourself against someone who doesn't obey the law and has an advantage over you, the law abiding citizen.

I agree with you rusty, I don't own a gun, but would fight for the right of others to own one.
This where we see things differently. I don't see a gun as a defensive weapon except for the military. I see a gun as a tool for hunting.
As a defensive weapon I completely see your point.

·
Not so new
968 Posts
That's the whole point. The gun debate in this country isn't about hunting. It's about the 2nd amendment. Being able to protect ones self and family. When we lose the second amendment we'll lose the rest of them in short order. Tyranny.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Moving? Why should I have to move. Maybe a gun free zone? I would be safe there? I am not going anywhere I like my life here in Cleveland, it is my home. I am more than able to protect myself and family should the need arise. As for what is tyranny~ http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tyranny.
What is our current government doing that is an act of tyranny??
(Maybe, something specific?)
(Not a general definition of tyranny.)
What?

1 - 20 of 161 Posts