DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I just moved into a not so new apartment. I suppose it got its last renovation like 30 years ago.
Anyway, as it's a rented place, and the rent is low I don't really mind. What I don't like is my shower. The shower is actually a sitting shower with a tub. I don't want to sit in a tub just to get a shower in the morning. So I am planing to install a shower head bracket as I want to be able to shower standing.

Now here is my problem: There are no tiles on the shower wall, just some old texured wall. Is it a problem if the wall gets wet every day?

I have almost no money to spend and as the apartment is rented I don't want to remodel it.

· Hammered Thumb
4,468 Posts
30 years ago is only 1990, it sounds like your apartment is pre-1950.
But anyways, follow Eddie's lead - shower curtain liners are $0.96 at W-Mart. I think you will need 4 of them to overlap each other. They do make curtain rods that fully surround a tub, but those are $100+. So just tack up a few liners on 3 walls and use the existing straight rod on the 4th. You didn't say if you already have a shower sprayer so if not they're around $20 for the wand/hose and a new tub spout for it to attach to is also $20 for a kit at HD:

· Registered
7,552 Posts
You have no sense of taste. No design savoir faire. Shower curtain liners are very plain white or clear plastic sheets. So boring and passe. Go for cheap shower curtains with patterns. Maybe flowers on the end, puppy dogs on the side ... add a little splash of color.

· Contractor/Engineer
2,986 Posts
You are renting. You can't do anything that modifies plumbing without permission - especially if you are making any changes that will harm/endanger existing walls. Clearly changing the shower so you can stand will cause water to hit what we can assume is a standard sheetrock wall that only has texture and paint on it. Most likely you'd end up with mold behind the walls, leaks going inside the wall to lower floors/basement and a horrendous expense trying to remediate the mold when you want to move out.

Do yourself a favor and see if the landlord would let you install the 3-sided tub surround and shower curtain at your expense.

Reactions: mark sr

· Premium Member
8,096 Posts
I'm with Domo on this one. You really need to discuss this with your landlord. The last thing you want to do is something that will cost you.......both in a lost security deposit when/if you move out and the chance that you do some damage to the walls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.