DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a quote to have my ceilings textured. Right now they are smooth and painted white. I had always heard you mix paint in with the mud when texturing so you don't have to paint after it is done. My drywall guy says he doesn't add paint and he doesn't even recommend painting after he is done. He said it creates a vapor barrier? He has many years experience so I feel I should be able to trust him but I was hoping for another experts opinion on this. I don't want my ceilings to have an unfinished look to them and would like to avoid having to go back and painting all the ceilings. What is everyone else's opinion about this?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I received a quote to have my ceilings textured. Right now they are smooth and painted white. I had always heard you mix paint in with the mud when texturing so you don't have to paint after it is done. My drywall guy says he doesn't add paint and he doesn't even recommend painting after he is done. He said it creates a vapor barrier? He has many years experience so I feel I should be able to trust him but I was hoping for another experts opinion on this. I don't want my ceilings to have an unfinished look to them and would like to avoid having to go back and painting all the ceilings. What is everyone else's opinion about this?
Well considering probably 99.9% of the houses in america have paintex ceiling when drywalled, i doubt it creates a problem or we woulsnt do it. As far as mixing paint with texture i cant help you there. I would defidently paint though. When drywall mud dries it becomes very dusty if you rub against it (granted its on a ceiling)

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
A lot depends on what type of texture wether to paint or not. But I vote against putting paint in the texture.

·
Registered
683 Posts
depending on the texture brand when dry it will look greyish or even yellowish. Some guys prefer to mix paint in with the texture and some guys argue over oil vs latex. i personally dont put any paint in. after i spray i like to wait atleast a full 24hrs then i paint with ceiling paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unless your working with Stucco, don't mix paint with mud. I always recommend painting your ceilings, especially in a bathroom. I use typical ceiling paint throughout, but always use semigloss on bathroom ceilings.

·
11,730 Posts
Under "Texturing-- Texture material is applied by brush, roller, spray, or trowel, or a combination of these tools, depending on the desired result. Textured wall surfaces are normally overpainted with the desired finish; overpainting of textured ceiling surfaces may not be deemed necessary where an adequate amount of material is applied
to provide sufficient hiding properties." from; http://www.lafargenorthamerica.com/GA-214-07%20English.pdf

Most latex paints are medium permanence (vapor retarder), you would need to use an oil-based or Vapor Barrier paint to create a moisture barrier, and all with different perm ratings, need to check each one's rating for a low-perm vapor barrier.

Gary
PS. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
For years and years we used to do, what we call around here, a "stomp" texture on ceilings. We would use a 6" diameter stippling brush and do a random pattern on the ceiling. The formula we used was 1- 5gallon bucket of drywall compound and 1- gal of flat white paint. Mix well and apply. the paint helped to whiten the compound and also seemed to add strength. The trick was keeping a consistent texture across the whole ceiling. I recently repainted one after about 10 years. I used an airless sprayer to do it as the texture was a real heavy one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts