DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These ideal in-sure push-in connectors have a continuity port for testing. Anyone able to tell me how to use this port?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm

i kinda messed that question up...

using a volt meter i expect one tip should be in the push in connector port but the other tip goes where? to the end of the wire? Does it test continuity for all the wires inserted into the connector?

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
i kinda messed that question up...

using a volt meter i expect one tip should be in the push in connector port but the other tip goes where? to the end of the wire? Does it test continuity for all the wires inserted into the connector?

Dave
The 'check port' touches the meter lead to the metal part which should be common with all the wires going into the connector. You would then touch the other meter lead to the far end of whatever wire is connected to test for continuity.

Technically you might be able to 'back probe' the wire connnection using a very thin meter tip where the wire goes into the connector, but that's not necessary since you can see the connection through the clear cover.

·
Super Moderator
14,719 Posts
The other probe tip would need to go to the other end of the cable or conductor you are checking for continuity.

If you are checking for voltage you you put the other probe to a neutral or ground.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
When testing for continuity at least one of the wires or terminals to which you are touching a meter probe should not be connected to anything else. So testing continuity at a junction using push in connections is quite difficult.

If you don't disconnect at least one of the wires and you get continuity, you have no way of knowing what combination of wires and/or metal objects produced continuity to where you touched the other probe.

(Also the power must be off when testing continuity.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts