DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided last week that I wanted to build new kitchen cabinets. I need a temporary countertop, so I went with what I already had which is 3/4 inch maple plywood. It will be 1 1/2 inches thick once I add some strips of plywood around the bottom edges of the top piece.

I need to seal it with something that is waterproof and food safe. Does anyone have recommendations on what I should use.

Temporary may end up being a few months.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something else I already have on hand. I'll stop looking at these epoxy coatings, they can get pretty expensive.

I'm actually pretty content with how the plywood countertop looks.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
It's better if you can protect the plywood edge with min wood filler then urethane. Around the sink cut out as well. The edges may not be protected by 3 coats and will absorb some water. For temp use it may be ok but not sure about food safety. You can wipe the counter with vinegar or bleach every few days.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,549 Posts
I once did that because we had a party before part of the kitchen was done. I wrapped the plywood with a plastic tablecloth cover. It worked for a few weeks, but it wasn't near the sink or stove.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Had a basic plywood countertop, couple of coats of poly, in my kitchen laying over a couple of tall sawhorses for nearly a year before I got around to real cabinets for the house. Wife didn’t exactly love it.....but nothing happened to it and no one died. Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts