DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my new house construction I would like to have an outside temporary breaker box. The house will be feed by a 200 amp service with 4/0 underground cable. 200 amp outside breaker boxes are expensive. I only need a 50-100 amp breaker box during construction; however, I cannot attach 4/0 cable to these smaller breaker boxes, they wont handle cable that big. Is there anyway to setup a smaller breaker box with this size cable?

·
DIY'er
2,044 Posts
For my new house construction I would like to have an outside temporary breaker box. The house will be feed by a 200 amp service with 4/0 underground cable. 200 amp outside breaker boxes are expensive. I only need a 50-100 amp breaker box during construction; however, I cannot attach 4/0 cable to these smaller breaker boxes, they wont handle cable that big. Is there anyway to setup a smaller breaker box with this size cable?
You can get a small 200A outside panel pretty cheap. You could even leave it mounted on the outside of your house. (the panel/panels in the house will be sub panels) If you do that will be your bonding point.

*I think the same box that you use on the (pole) temp service should be able to go onto the house for permanent service.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The way we do it, is to build a temporary pole with panel and disconnect. The power company will connect you up until the house is ready to be connected. Call the power company and ask them about the temporary pole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts