Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I am building a very large double shed out of wood.

I am using telegraph poles which I have never used before; but it is a solid piece of wood for the base structure to hold everything up (corrogutted plastic sheeted roof).

My question is... how deep am I going to put the telegraph poles into the ground i.e. how deep? how much sand and cement do i use? how much ballas? etc etc.... and finally, how do i how up such a thing whilst the sand and cement is drying as it is so heavy, making sure the poles are level at the same time...

any tips for making the foundation will be appreciated...

I have attached pictures of my proposed build, a rough sketch.

ty, shabba :) (shed is 17 foot by 36 foot and 9 foot high)

Attachments

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,783 Posts
My question is... how deep am I going to put the telegraph poles into the ground i.e. how deep? how much sand and cement do i use? how much ballas? etc etc.... and finally, how do i how up such a thing whilst the sand and cement is drying as it is so heavy, making sure the poles are level at the same time...
Ayuh,.... Depth,... Around here it's 4' minimun for frost, 5' is common...
Where are you building,..?? What weather does it need to endure,..??
The amount of ballast relates to the weather,...
Around here, poles can be planted, Without concrete at all,...Drill, Set, Chink,+ start building...

To keep things true,+ square, use stringlines,...
The poles are held with diagonal bracing pinned to the ground, atleast 2 directions, 3 if necessary...

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Looks like you have nice solid timber. But where are you? Are there any building codes where you are? What are you going to be using this shed for?

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Around here, poles can be planted, Without concrete at all,...Drill, Set, Chink,+ start building...

The poles are held with diagonal bracing pinned to the ground, atleast 2 directions, 3 if necessary...
You know, without knowing where you live, this could make some sense. But burying 4-5 feet of nice round timber, bamboo or whatever would make many of us in the US cringe. We think we need concrete around everything. Or that code tells us we have build on top of it.

Four feet down to avoid frost though?

·
Registered
2 Posts
pole barn type construction

Hope that wood is treated or will be yreated to prevent rot. Sey poles on a concrete footing 16 incher square and 12 inches deep, string lines , diagional bracing. good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi, thanks for your response
I am building a shed for storage, the weather... I live in London so windy and cold/rain in winter... so how much ballast should I be using for this type of weather condition.... and also, are you saying that i can just dig 4/5 foot down and then put mud around the pole then add a certain amount of ballast to this? I guess the latter could work most definently... that way I could get cracking on the same day... But can I actually do this with these poles?

i am not to sure about this diagonal bracing mechanism, but i shall look into it... ty for your help, please reply if you have time :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you have nice solid timber. But where are you? Are there any building codes where you are? What are you going to be using this shed for?
ahhh thanks, it should be suitable for its purpose which is just a big shed for storage, i am not aware of any buildng regs/codes, but it is a big piece of land and out the way

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long are your poles ?
Here 35' telephone poles are buried 10' deep = creosote protected I think
the poles are 30 foot in length, but i am halfing this... the height is going to be 9 foot so how many foot do you think i should be digging down?

·
Safe, Most of the Time!!
662 Posts
I think they went down about 6 feet on mine. Frost line is 42".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, without knowing where you live, this could make some sense. But burying 4-5 feet of nice round timber, bamboo or whatever would make many of us in the US cringe. We think we need concrete around everything. Or that code tells us we have build on top of it.

Four feet down to avoid frost though?
I would say approx 3 foot is sufficient and yes no sand and cement... just mud 2 foot (just over 2 foot) and ballast 1 foot should be sufficient... what do you guys think (location: london, england and buidling upon grass land).

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
With very long sticks, is how it was done in the old days. Now days, they use a boom truck with a auger on the end, and a crane attached to it, to hoist up and in the holes.

·
9,783 Posts
the poles are 30 foot in length, but i am halfing this... the height is going to be 9 foot so how many foot do you think i should be digging down?
Ayuh,... Instead of Digging, get an auger,+ Drill the holes,... 3' if you'd like, no ballast needed....
Personally, you've got the pole length, I'd go 4'... Deeper is more stable...

Diagonal bracing is nothing but some framing lumber, nailed High on the pole, angled to the ground, then pin the end(ground end) so it's stable...

Those poles look like raw timbers,... Treating the buried ends with something will add longevity...

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
wow that deep?
No kidding? London claims a frost line to 42 inches? I live on the American prairie in about two months the actual temp will be about 10 on good days with wind chills taking us down to as low as -30 or so. Our soil does not frost more than a few inches and the freeze depth of 42 inches is hopefully impossible. I also know London well. Just where within the city are you building this pole shed?

You would not be trying to waste the time of the people on this site would you?

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
if you have 30 foot poles and you are going to cut them in half and you are going to have 9 foot sidewalls, why bother cutting them again. Just plant about 5 to 5 1/2 feet in the ground so you have enough to cut off the tops inline with each other once you get them set.

deeper is always better.

depending on the soil type, you might really want to consider a concrete footer to support the posts.

to hold the posts up, once you get the corner posts set, you can tie each subsequent pole to the next one for side to side support and will only need to brace it for in and outward alignment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No kidding? London claims a frost line to 42 inches? I live on the American prairie in about two months the actual temp will be about 10 on good days with wind chills taking us down to as low as -30 or so. Our soil does not frost more than a few inches and the freeze depth of 42 inches is hopefully impossible. I also know London well. Just where within the city are you building this pole shed?

You would not be trying to waste the time of the people on this site would you?
waste peoples time??? I don't know about that... If you would really like to know my friend I am building this in a large adventure playground for kids, here it will be used for storage and teaching them how to do certain aspects of wood work amongst other stuff,:)

I should add... as we have no funding, we cannot use heavy machinery, but we have alot of man power/children power even :)... so that is why i am cringing when i see 4 foot plus as we can not afford to bring in tools, but I am sure our digging will be worth it in the end.

·
9,783 Posts
so that is why i am cringing when i see 4 foot plus as we can not afford to bring in tools, but I am sure our digging will be worth it in the end.
Ayuh,... I donno what it's like on your side of the pond,...
I can rent a posthole auger for about $100. a day, or Less....
It's a 1 man unit, towed behind your car...

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
waste peoples time??? I don't know about that... If you would really like to know my friend I am building this in a large adventure playground for kids, here it will be used for storage and teaching them how to do certain aspects of wood work amongst other stuff,:)

I should add... as we have no funding, we cannot use heavy machinery, but we have alot of man power/children power even :)... so that is why i am cringing when i see 4 foot plus as we can not afford to bring in tools, but I am sure our digging will be worth it in the end.
do some research on the Egyptians and the Amish. They used methods that will aid your building. With enough manpower, you can build...

well, you can build a pyramid 480 feet tall.:yes:

there are methods for planting tall timbers without power assistance and they aren't actually as difficult as you may imagine. Just use caution.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.