DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Plumbing!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I am new here and this is my first time posting. Nice to meet you all, and thanks for reading.

I am working on building a bathroom. I am in Arkansas and from what I can find, the codes here are based on the 2006 IPC.

Anyway, I drew up a diagram and this is what I came up with. Does it look ok, or maybe I am crazy? Feel free to advise, critique, laugh, scream, rant, or cry.

Are there some glaring problems that I am missing?
Are my vents in the correct place?
Are my fittings all right?
What placement/fittings would you use instead, where, and why?

Here are two pictures of the space. Below that are two pictures where I have superimposed my plans on top of them. Thanks!

room space.jpg

closet bend hole.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,833 Posts
Lyz, I don't plumb under IPC but we do have a gentleman @Ghostmaker, who drops in he is an inspector in a IPC state and has helped several members here. Maybe he will pop in in soon.
What you have drawn is almost okay per UPC code but I'd make a couple changes:
The end of line 3" cleanout should be accessible- raise it above the floor on top of the 3" san tee, then bush it to 2". I don't see why you need the first 90 either. Put the san tee and CO tee on top of the combo I would also move it closer to the out side wall so it is not behind the toilet.
Another thing I see, is the 3x2 combo to the shower and lav- lay it flat or at a 45 angle to gain elevation. My code does not require it to be orientated in the vertical.

Hope this helps some, welcome to our forum

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
First things first an isometric drawing would go a lot farther in my comprehension.
1. Fittings smaller than 3 inches can turn 90 degrees vertically or horizontally without long sweeps.
2. 3 inch 90 in a vertical does not require a long sweep. Only 3 inch or larger in horizontal to horizontal need long sweep fittings.
3.Other than that your drawing is code compliant since everything has it's own vent.
Good job!

·
Registered
Plumbing!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lyz, I don't plumb under IPC but we do have a gentleman @Ghostmaker, who drops in he is an inspector in a IPC state and has helped several members here. Maybe he will pop in in soon.
What you have drawn is almost okay per UPC code but I'd make a couple changes:
The end of line 3" cleanout should be accessible- raise it above the floor on top of the 3" san tee, then bush it to 2". I don't see why you need the first 90 either. Put the san tee and CO tee on top of the combo I would also move it closer to the out side wall so it is not behind the toilet.
Another thing I see, is the 3x2 combo to the shower and lav- lay it flat or at a 45 angle to gain elevation. My code does not require it to be orientated in the vertical.

Hope this helps some, welcome to our forum
Thank you!
So I'm sending a picture of what we are testing out to put in on the toilet. I guess our problem with the toilet is that we have to have the vent line directly behind the toilet in the specific place because it will be inside a wall, and we can't really move the combo because of the wall framing and floor joists.

Also there is slab under the toilet, but the cleanout will be accessible from the crawlspace.

I didn't even think about the wye lying on its side at a 45, thanks for telling me! I will check that against the IPC code.

·
Registered
Plumbing!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First things first an isometric drawing would go a lot farther in my comprehension.
1. Fittings smaller than 3 inches can turn 90 degrees vertically or horizontally without long sweeps.
2. 3 inch 90 in a vertical does not require a long sweep. Only 3 inch or larger in horizontal to horizontal need long sweep fittings.
3.Other than that your drawing is code compliant since everything has it's own vent.
Good job!
Wow, thanks! That makes me so happy.
One question I have is, since we already bought all these l/s 90s, can we still use them or would it be against the code?
I am giving a picture of what the setup might look like when it is in place below:

Must we replace these l/s 90s with regular 90s, or with 45?s? Or is it weird, but still okay?

Thanks again =)

·
Premium Member
11,833 Posts
A long sweep 90 is allowed for any 90 degree turn

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ghostmaker
1 - 6 of 6 Posts