DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is teak a viable choice for a bathroom? I mean, it was used for battleship decks , it should hold up pretty well I would think. They say hardwood in a bathroom is not good but I thought that teak was the all weather tough stuff. Or am I missing something important?

·
Registered
37,261 Posts
The teak would be fine, it's the water leaking in under it at the seams that's going to cause the problums.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see... didn't think of that. I guess there's no way to make that work. So I guess tile is the best option then.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,338 Posts
And if the subflooring won't handle tile, you can buy sheet vinyl that looks like wood.

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
if teak is what you seek ......

you could install a trench style floor drain (with teak floor installed above) and use this product by Schluter to direct any water that gets under the finish floor to the floor drain. You'd have to install a water proof membrane over your subfloor, something like Kerdi. attach teak boards to cross members underneath so that finish floor would not have to be nailed/screwed to the subfloor.

Of course this requires more detail to your work and expense. If it was me, I'd go with the wood finish tiles.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
GBrackens said:
if teak is what you seek ......

you could install a trench style floor drain (with teak floor installed above) and use this product by Schluter to direct any water that gets under the finish floor to the floor drain.
Gary,

At first I thought maybe you were kidding, but looks like you're not. I highly disagree with your suggestion.

Jaz

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Jaz,

I kinda was kidding, because all of the precise complicated work needed to make it happen as well as expense, as compared to a tile floor ...... it can be done however

myself, I'd never attempt something like that

·
JOATMON
15,309 Posts
I love Teak....but the stuff is expensive.............

I have looked at those trench style drains....love the look....but to me to big concern would be moisture under the wood. Even with proper drainage, how would you keep the teak from staying wet underneath all the time?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I once did a bathroom floor with ipe. We blind-nailed through the tongues and used a generous amount of silicone around the perimeter between the wall and the expansion gap, and trimmed out with baseboard milled from ipe. The floor was finished with 5 coats of spar varnish. The clients recoated with more varnish a couple of times since the install.
The floor has been down for 12 years and still looks great. The spar varnish really seals well and makes the grain and colors in the ipe come to life.
I would not hesitate to use teak in the same way. As long as your subfloor is cdx plywood or better, Advantech, etc I don't think you'd have a problem.

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
WOW, you guys are serious. A shower with no pan membrane, just wood or OSB. :no: One little hairline crack will ruin the subfloor, although it could take many years for anyone to notice.

Can anyone direct us the the "spec" that says that's allowed anywhere?

Jaz

·
JOATMON
15,309 Posts
WOW, you guys are serious. A shower with no pan membrane, just wood or OSB. :no: One little hairline crack will ruin the subfloor, although it could take many years for anyone to notice.

Can anyone direct us the the "spec" that says that's allowed anywhere?

Jaz
Jaz....I don't think the OP means for the shower....just the bathroom floor....outside the shower...

·
Tileguy
6,050 Posts
Maybe to OP does, but someone suggested using a trench drain which indicates the need for a drain. That wouldn't work with wood anywhere.

Jaz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I was just talking about outside the shower. I have no motivation to deal with any drainage issues or anything crazy. I will be replacing the subfloor also so I will hopefully make it so it supports tile. I have never done a floor before and was just wondering why it wasn't advisable. It makes sense now.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Teak in the shower

I trimmed the Archway and face trim of my master steam shower in Teak. Found some special epoxy for teak and oak to put it all together (with counter sunk and plugged screws). Maybe something to look at for a floor.My question to everyone in maintaining the beauty of the teak without it going that silver color?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Teak in bathroom

We bought this stuff a few weeks ago and it's AWESOME! It's Luxury Vinyl Click lock flooring. 6" wide x 48" long It looks just like wood, but its waterproof. I laid it almost as fast as my wife pulled it out of the box. You don't glue it or anything. We did our whole basement in it - including the bathrooms

Oh yeah, if you call these guys, ask for Alan the owner. He distributes flooring in the southeast to the retail stores. They're just getting their website going. He really knew his stuff.

http://weshipfloors.com/flooring/acacia-luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring-2mm-x-6-x-48-square-edge

1 - 17 of 17 Posts