DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tar for waterproofing?

1312 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  oh'mike
Hey guys, hope I'm posting this in the right catagory. I have a detached garage that has a big problem with rain water running along the rear wall at ground level, it's already deteriorating the wood. The wall is set right down onto the asphault.
My question is about using some kind of tar or tar-like product to just completely seal up the seam between the asphault and wood, and sort of give the water a "channel" to run along. Wanted to know if this is a reasonable solution to the problem, and if so, what products might you guys recommend/have experience with? Even if I had to reapply every year it would be worth it, much of the water enters the garage and soaks the entire floor, can't keep anything on the floor.

Stopping the water from draining there would be a huge undertaking as it's down a slope and it's both run-off from the house's gutters and drainage from my backyard, easier to just put something down that will let it run along the outside of the garage and drain down into my neighbor's yard (past the back of the garage). Any input is appreciated!

Edit: just wanted to add that I am working on diverting the gutter water away via tubing but I don't see any reasonable way to stop the yard from draining down there, you can tell it always has, but the previous owner put up the garage himself and didn't allow for any landscaping issues!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A picture would help a lot here---

Is there any possibility of changing the affected wood to a water proof product like Azek PVC boards?
w/o pics, trenching alongside garage is a good 1st step,,, tar/asphalt must be applied hot for liquidity,,, tremco & others make a cold applied emulsion,,, sonneborn's 'sonolastic' or abyss are also good products - no financial interest in any of the previous
Thanks for the product names!

oh'mike--I hadn't thought of replacing the wood with a non-rotting substitute. Problem is that even though there's a sort of groove that the bottom of the wall sits in, it's not sealed at all so water just flows freely under the wall. Do you guys think that filling the groove with goop and then replacing with PVC would keep the water out? Sort of just like "caulking" the bottom of the wall.

--wish I could give you some pics but no camera atm. It's not a tremendous amount of water, just enough to be a nuisance!
Look at the concrete caulks----better than tar,I think.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.