DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about to embark on a french drain installation on one side of my house, and in doing so, since I'll be digging up next to the foundation anyways i feel it would be worthwhile to apply a tar-coat + paper to the outside as an additional protective measure.
problem is i'm not sure how deep to go as I have half crawl space and half basement (~6').

should i simply dig as deep as the crawspace along the entire length?
if i did this it would obviously be easier, but i would only be tar-coating about half the depth of one portion of the house.
is this acceptable?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
If you're going to that much effort, don't use 1950 technology. There are products available that are far superior to "Eisenhower" tar.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
we use sonneborn's ' sonolastic ' but you can also use regular roofing cement,,, the protection course is VERY important - miradrain is our choice but sonneborn also has dimpleboard - just a different color,,, i would encourage you to install a proper toe drain alongside the foundation incl soil filter cloth & gravity drainage,,, failure to allow system drainabe will convert all your hard work into a drywell allowing subsequent repeat wtr infiltration :yes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts