DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing old drywall installed by previous owner. It is a real hack job to put it mildly. I have a 1+” gap filled with a narrow strip of drywall. It is directly over structure. The total width leaves only 14” or so of tape on either side. Is that ok or should I use two widths of tape? In other words, how wide of a crack can you cover with tape? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Imo, kind of a big gap for tape and pieces of drywall just shoved in there, but could be done I suppose if you know what you are doing to make it look good. Up to you.

If you want the patch to look good and not stick out like an eyesoar, You could cut a piece out even with the studs. Drywall is cheap. Plenty of good you tube videos out there showing how to do this if you are lacking the skills and knowledge. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Imo, kind of a big gap for tape and pieces of drywall just shoved in there, but could be done I suppose if you know what you are doing to make it look good. Up to you.

If you want the patch to look good and not stick out like an eyesoar, You could cut a piece out even with the studs. Drywall is cheap. Plenty of good you tube videos out there showing how to do this if you are lacking the skills and knowledge. Just a suggestion.
Thanks. It is in the basement and I am only doing semi-finish to create a small sitting area next to windows in walk-out section. Anything looks better than unfinished 15 yo yellow drywall which was very poorly hung. I have done a whole lot of patching over the years using fiberglass mesh tape. However, recently learned that paper taped joints are much stronger when using premixed mud. So, I am using paper tape. In the old days I would have used two pieces of mesh tape overlapped. Was just wondering if I could do the same with paper tape. Drywall is cheap but I am old and have to get it to the basement and handle it. Maybe would have done that 20 years ago but not now.

PS my original post should have said 1/4” , not 14” on either side. That is, the total width of gap is 1-1/2” wide.

·
retired painter
9,881 Posts
Drywall tape is typically 2" wide so that doesn't really give you anything on either side of the joint for the tape to adhere to. It could be made to work but not ideal. Nothing wrong with using 2 pieces of tape - paper or mesh.

With sticky tape [mesh] it's imperative to use a setting compound to lock it in place. Paper tape preforms equally well with regular joint compound or setting compound.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drywall tape is typically 2" wide so that doesn't really give you anything on either side of the joint for the tape to adhere to. It could be made to work but not ideal. Nothing wrong with using 2 pieces of tape - paper or mesh.

With sticky tape [mesh] it's imperative to use a setting compound to lock it in place. Paper tape preforms equally well with regular joint compound or setting compound.
Thx Mark. I never used setting compound. Always skimmed the mesh with regular joint compound and let it dry before subsequent coats. It never moved and my repairs never failed. Maybe I was just lucky.

·
retired painter
9,881 Posts
You were lucky, when the sticky tape first came out I saw a lot of failures all blamed on regular j/c. It does a lot better with setting compound and that is now the industry standard when using that type of tape.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You were lucky, when the sticky tape first came out I saw a lot of failures all blamed on regular j/c. It does a lot better with setting compound and that is now the industry standard when using that type of tape.
I know. USG has published some great data supporting their recommendation that premixed general purpose mud should not be used with fiber glass tape. I believe I have been successful because I always made sure drywall was properly anchored even if it meant removing and adding structure plus my repairs have been relatively small. I have done some major repairs in my current home as the drywall installation is horrible. I have found inside corners with no tape, 1/2” gaps and no structure. So, the edge of the drywall easily moves with changes in temp and humidity. Since I now understand the deal, I only use paper tape. IMO, it is actually easier than mesh tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts