DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some drywall finishing this weekend on our basement. Everything went well except for one small section, about 10 inches or so on one inside corner. I guess I squeezed too much mud out when I laid the tape. The 2nd coat made one side of the corner tape bubble.

Any solutions? Can I just use a utility knife and carefully cut that section, peel it back, mud it and lay it down again? Or should I replace the entire inside corner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Yes, I agree, your solution will work if doesn't cross any seams. Others may disagree. Would like to see a picture if you can.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am at the office now but will take a picture later.

To answer an earlier question, the tape in question did not cross any seams on the wall.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here is a picture but it's hard to see what's really going on. My finger is pointing at the side of the tape that bubbled. When you press down, the tape clearly is moving as it has not adhered to the drywall. I was using an old corner trowel and probably pressed too hard at that point.

Like I said, it's only a 10 inch section and it doesn't cross over any seams in the drywall.

Attachments

·
retired painter
10,018 Posts
Sometimes you can get away with 'regluing' the tape to the drywall, if that doesn't work the only solution is to cut out the offending section and redo.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you can get away with 'regluing' the tape to the drywall, if that doesn't work the only solution is to cut out the offending section and redo.
That was my first thought. Cut the tape on both ends of the bubble, carefully peel it back without damaging the corner or tearing the tape, apply some mud, and then fold back down and hope it adheres.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Hi Ty, Obviously there is something different about how you are pushing that tape into place as I (not a pro) always try to remove all excess mud behind my tape. In a corner it will be less obvious, but on the flat excess mud equals a bump.

Once i put my tape in place I use multiple passes to squeeze out excess mud, even angling the knife to assist moving the mud to the outside edge. I have in years past pulled off a strip of tape i messed up and inspected it, and found that the squeezing process is forcing the mud INTO the tape thus it becomes part of the drywall.

NHote, that tape is not an adhesive product nor is the mud. Forcing them together allows the tape to stay in place as the mud dries.

Not sure that helped, but it has worked well for my on a reasonable amount of hanging and taping.

Bud

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You likely get bubbles because you squeeze out too much mud from behind the tape. The drywall mud IS an adhesive....that sticks the tape and drywall surface together. If you take too much mud ouT from behind the tape, it doesn’t adhere properly. When the second coat of mud hits it, it pulls the non-adhered tape up and you get a bubble. I would just cut that section out and put in new mud and tape.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Hi ront, we will have to agree to disagree. The tape needs to become part of the mud and drywall. Next time you have tools in hand, spread out a 3' length of mud and a strip of tape. Then as I described try to remove all of the mud from behind by going left and right and angled. Once you have all of the mud squeezed out, peel the tape off and inspect it. You'll find it is heavier than when you put it up because now it is saturated with mud. Tape stuck to the wall with just mud will dry and leave the tape not attached very well. Tape that is saturated with mud dries as one.

I'll add IMO

Bud

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
First step around here if using paper tape is Layer of mud (maybe 1/8”) on joint, set the tape by pressing in on knife to the point that it “oozes” out the sides, immediate second thin coat to clean up ooze and Bed and cover the tape. Have done it enough to know that I don’t even want to try to squeeze every drop out from behind. Different strokes I guess. Maybe sir mix a lot will check in!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW, cutting the section, peeling back the tape, mudding and pressing cut piece back worked. Will need some extra sanding and maybe some more mud but at least I didn’t have to pull the entire corner and start over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts