DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The log house I'm building will have a propane tankless water heater (Rheem). Can these be installed in a crawl space? It would certainly simplify things if it could. The crawl space is 4 feet high.

·
GC/Master Plumber/Mech
1,517 Posts
I wouldn't install in a crawl space.

They do make exterior mount systems unless freezing is an issue.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, freezing is very much an issue.

UPDATE: I contacted the manufacturer. They said crawl space installation is fine.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Just be sure there is adequate oxygen supply, adequate ventilation of exhaust gases, and no danger of freezing down there.

Some models may use a concentric dual pipe through a wall to achieve the first two.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The model I have uses the concentric supply/vent arrangement. As for freezing, I certainly hope that's not an issue - all my plumbing is down there.

·
Chicago, IL
1,037 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1) Some manufacturers recommend/require a backdraft damper if you are installing in a freezing climate, this is especially important if there is only a short run to the exterior.

2) There's a lot of electronics and other assorted moisture sensitive componets in these heaters, if this crawlspace is "damp", I'd be leery of installing a tankless unit down there, in my Chicago climate I frequently see corroded equipment in crawl spaces, and it's often equipment such as conventional tank type water heaters much less sensitive than tankless units.

3) I've put together a webpage on my experience with tankless units (I like them, but they are intolerant of incorrect installation), you may find it useful:

Tankless Water Heater Installation FAQ - Paragon Home Inspections Evanston / Chicago / Skokie / Wilmette / Morton Grove / Glenview / Northbrook / Illinois

1 - 7 of 7 Posts