DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tall baseboards that run into kitchen cabinets... what to do?

32K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  oldrivers 
#1 ·
We've been putting in 5" baseboard in our house. At two different locations, the baseboard turns a corner into the kitchen and is going to end at a floor kitchen cabinet. The problem is, the doors of the cabinet(s) won't open if the tall baseboard continues to the cabinet because it will be in the way. The previous baseboard I guess was short enough to fit under the doors. I can take a picture if needed.

Anyways, what do I do? What do contractors and home builders usually do? I've never seen kitchen cabinets where the doors are 5+ inches off the floor. Surely this is a problem that people have run into before...

Should I cap off the baseboard before it reaches the cabinet? Two problems: 1. I think it will look odd. 2. Because we have 1" bullnose corner drywall, the hardwood floor will leave a small exposed opening at the corner because baseboard normally covers it.

I can take a picture if you need me to.

#4 ·
Funny you should ask. I just went back to a house I framed and trimmed several years ago. The homeowner let me get some pictures while I was there. Here is a very similar situation to yours and how I dealt with it in this case.:thumbsup:

Attachments

#8 ·
It's possible that different hinges could be available that have a "throw" built into their design. It looks like you are too tight to even squeeze the base behind the door, so that idea is out.

Without physically moving the cabinet over and adding the proper filler on the side, the only other option I see is possibly modifying the door opening and ripping the door narrower to allow for the base.

None of these solutions will be easy. Pick your poison.:wink:

#14 ·
I just drooled all over the key board when you ran that thread next door at CT.

I love trimming--it's not often that I get to do nice complicated trim like that.

Art with wood!

Your kids must have enjoyed seeing your work. Nice customers to invite you into their open house.---Mike---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.