DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had carpet installed today and while one guy did the doorway to the master bedroom the way I have always seen it done - two smaller pieces at an angle on either side of the doorway piece so that it can extend out from the bedroom to about the middle of the doorway - the other guy (who also went into the master bathroom I told them to stay out of because of wet thinset and he walked in to look out the window ??? and stepped slap in the middle of it!!! I had to redo it right then and there!) did the other two rooms but he ran the tack strip basically along the baseboards and straight across the doorway. Meaning, he didn't cut those two smaller pieces and bring the doorway piece out, it's just straight across meeting the strip at the baseboards on either side.

This leaves it about 2" from the middle of the door frame, maybe a little more. I asked about this and was told it was fine. I do not think it is fine. Yes they left extra carpet over it so the carpet itself extends out to the hall where we will be putting bamboo BUT this leaves the tack strip too far into the room to be under a threshold (is it supposed to be?) and not even butted up against the threshold. I assume the threshold goes right under the door, right? So that you don't see the "other" flooring when the door is closed no matter what side you are on. Right?

Am I wrong or did he take the lazy way out and this should be redone the way the master doorway was done? I think we will be stepping on this strip all the time and that's ticking me off. Also, it seems like there will be a dip of sorts between the strip and the threshold. Maybe not visible but we'd feel that underfoot and it seems like it would feel "off". I have contacted the company and waiting to see what they say. I had Home Depot who had Romanoff who had Marino. What a joke this has all been.

At any rate, just wanted some opinions on this as I have never seen it done this way and the whole experience with the installers has left me very upset.

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,522 Posts
I assume the threshold goes right under the door, right? So that you don't see the "other" flooring when the door is closed no matter what side you are on. Right?

Am I wrong or did he take the lazy way out and this should be redone the way the master doorway was done? I think we will be stepping on this strip all the time and that's ticking me off.

Your concerns are legit. Eventually, as the carpet wears down someone is going to get cut with the tack strip in the doorway. Maybe just a prick on the foot, or maybe a nasty gash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is already stabbing our feet in some spots. I made several calls, emails, fb posts, etc. to get them back out here Monday to fix the placement of the strips so they can be covered with the transition pieces.

They tried to tell me they'd come back in 3 weeks. Insanity. We have to repaint because of them and they want me to wait 3 weeks for a 10 min total fix that I could do myself but shouldn't have to.

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't an "acceptable" way to do it even though if I, the homeowner, find it unacceptable then it shall be deemed such lol :D I need to be more assertive and should have told them to redo it right when I saw it and questioned it. I guess in all my rage screaming at them about the thinset and having to fix it that took a back burner. :vs_mad::smile:

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,087 Posts
He is talking about transition to another surface....and yeah, you Do install tack strips across a doorway in some instances.
No you do not. It violates all carpet installation rules. There are proper transitions to use. Have you ever read the Carpet and Rug Institute rules? Putting tack strip across a doorway voids all warranties.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,087 Posts
Directly from the CRI standards "Avoid installing tack-strips across door openings and/or sills."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts