DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a table saw, have looked jsut about everywhere, (Garage sales, private ads. to box store and the like, I've never had one, but would like some info on , what would be a good intermediate, I don't need contractor grade, but don't want one thats to small either. I've spoke to some that say stay away from those units that are direct drive vs belt driven, if I had preference I'd like Craftsman, but would liek to hear what others say :thumbsup:

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,935 Posts
What will you be doing with it? For around the house stuff, you can get a good Craftsman or Grizzley for $200. I do a lot of woodworking and have a Craftsman cabinet saw with a Beisenmeyer fence that ran $1000. So first, you have to decide what you need it to be capable of doing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This may be overkill for you, but I like the Sawstop tables saws. Extremely high build quality with the added benefit of having the built in safety feature.

They offer a contractor saw that is very good for around $1600 with the 30" fence. If you are serious about wood working, I would add the optional cast iron tables to the contractor saw and you'll be set for life.

www.sawstop.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a Dewalt DW744 table saw and love it. It's portable enough that it's easy to move around on jobsites and it's also very accurate. The only drawback is it only rips 13" or thereabouts. We've got larger saws in our shop and I've used the less expensive craftsman table saws for our jobsite saws but my favorite is by far the Dewalt.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One thing I like about Craftsman equipment is that it's easy to get parts, although not always cheap. That being said, I've had a 10" Craftsman table saw for 20 years, and have never needed any parts so far, and it has gone through some pretty rough treatment.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Looking to buy a table saw, have looked jsut about everywhere, (Garage sales, private ads. to box store and the like, I've never had one, but would like some info on , what would be a good intermediate, I don't need contractor grade, but don't want one thats to small either. I've spoke to some that say stay away from those units that are direct drive vs belt driven, if I had preference I'd like Craftsman, but would liek to hear what others say :thumbsup:
As Rusty said, what will you do with it? And down the road what will you do with it? Some small saws can be dropped into a larger table to increase the saws scope of use. I use the Rousseau table for my smaller saw when I'm on site and need a little more table.
There are plenty of saws on Craig's List at very good prices. Just bring someone with you who knows saws if you go that route.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I've got a Dewalt DW744 table saw and love it. It's portable enough that it's easy to move around on jobsites and it's also very accurate. The only drawback is it only rips 13" or thereabouts. We've got larger saws in our shop and I've used the less expensive craftsman table saws for our jobsite saws but my favorite is by far the Dewalt.
What he said!:laughing:

With a table saw size does matter--a larger saw offers more stability to the wood---Next is the fence---if it's not strong and always parallel each time it's set.

That's the one weakness with the old Craftsman table saws-- sloppy fences.

That DeWalt is one nice saw. It will not take the place of a large saw but if space and portability are a consideration--that's a nice saw.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,935 Posts
Most people wouldn't need one like mine. It weighs almost 800 lbs, so you don't move it much. But for woodworking, it is very accurate.

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I have a big one like that in the shop---safe--accurate and a joy to use---

Most folks don't have room or budget for the cabinet saws.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,935 Posts
I have a big one like that in the shop---safe--accurate and a joy to use---

Most folks don't have room or budget for the cabinet saws.
When I bought mine, I thought I was going to make a lot of money designing and building furniture.:censored:
When the economy tanked, sales quit.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I wanted to be a furniture maker all my life--I learned early on that there are very few customers for that product.

I have had luck with built in book cases,bars and entertainment walls. I just make clocks and trunks as gifts--

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,935 Posts
I sold quite a bit of childrens furniture for about 5 years, then it quit.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Never thought of kids furniture----I'll bet that market would have some customers.

I always thought that there was a need for display cabinets and cases. All sizes and shapes.

The glass and the shipping made that idea kind of weak.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
Hard to beat a good used Craftsman Zip Code model.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,935 Posts
Never thought of kids furniture----I'll bet that market would have some customers.
They sold very well (my wife designed most of it) untill the economy tanked.

·
Super Moderator
12,628 Posts
I've got a Dewalt DW744 table saw and love it. It's portable enough that it's easy to move around on jobsites and it's also very accurate. The only drawback is it only rips 13" or thereabouts.
That’s odd, my DW744 rips up to 24 ½”

DW744:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice compromise would be a used Delta contractor saw with a Biesmeyer fence, preferably US made. Nice saw, solid fence with plenty of power.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have this one also. It has a rack and pinion fence that stays true and adjusts very easily. A saw in this price range with a reliable fence is hard to find.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That’s odd, my DW744 rips up to 24 ½”

DW744:thumbsup:
I believe there's 2 different fences (or maybe it's an extension) on the DW744. Mine doesn't have the extension and only rips to 13" or so.

Here's the one with the extension:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWALT-10-Porta...categoryZ20789QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

Here's the one I have without the fence extension:
http://www.pawnmart.com/?itemid=42949817734

NOTE: I'm not endorsing either of the 2 sellers - just using them to show examples. Regardless, it looks like the same rack and pinion fence on both, but the first one is longer. And yes, the fence is great. It is very precise, easy to adjust, and it says parallel. Less foolin' more workin'. :thumbsup: The fence also has a built in place for a plastic push stick which is very convenient.

That's one thing I couldn't stand about the craftsman job site saws ($200 price range). The fences are terrible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts