DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I started a new project with railroad ties, trying to build a table top and am seeking for advise. I don't have much experience with wood but am determined to transform these planks into a table top.
The planks that I got weren't used so I assume that they didnt have any creatine applied on.
I posted some pictures of the ties after sanded with a 32grit.
I am stil not sure what species they are although I think they are all pine.
Does any one have a suggestion what would be the best way to square the edges of these planks? they measure in average 3"thick X 74"long X 10"wide and the countertop I am planing to built on is 42"wide X 12'-0" long

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the answer, as I said I am not very experience with wood. could you tell em a little bit more about the problems with pressured treated pine? and what makes it a not good choice for a table top?
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it. The table would be actually a computer desk/library countertop (not a food preparation top)...
is there any product that can be applied to minimize the effects of these chemicals?

thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.