DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a leak that is likely originating from where my T1-11 siding meets my garage roof. The bottom portion of the siding is rotting a bit. For now putting vinyl around the house isn't an option, so I need to fix and replace what I have. My guess is there isn't flashing under there, of if there is it's faulty. Can anyone give me advice on the best/right way to fix solve this issue?

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Draw a line along the top of the 1x6. Remove the 1x6 cut the the t 1-11 maybe a 1/2" above that line. That will expose the step flashing...assuming its there. Fix/replace as needed. Install the 1x6 so it sits below the siding with a "z-stop" flashing and your good.
I've done that repair so many times I can do it in my sleep with one hand tied behind my back :wink2:
A link to z-stop pictures. I usually would bend my own but I had a brake and unlimited coil stock in multiple colors.

https://www.google.com/search?q=z+f...ved=0ahUKEwigstey-dLMAhVI7oMKHUlSDqwQ_AUIBygC

11,730 Posts
Be sure to overlap the upper Z-flash (on top of board) so water runs down/out, not under the next flash there. AND block the board up 2" before inscribing the line- no wood within 2" of shingles is best for minimum splash back. Bend the 90* in the Z-flash, I've seen it run down the Z-flash and exit to ground in a steady stream when raining (craig11152 mentioned the gap ((to bend the Z-flash at a greater angle for drainage) so it is closer to 110* for best water run-off. If replacing/adding step flash, don't fasten it to the wall, roof only- one or two nails at top edge away from wall-covered by next one. And don't nail through the bottom of the board through any step flash. Be sure to tuck the step flash behind the felt paper, not in front of it. If step flash is missing, we can help...

A lot of times those 2 story cantilever the bedrooms over the entry, may need a "kick-out" flash there; http://www.finehomebuilding.com/ite...-flash-troublesome-roof-to-wall-intersections

Gary

Reactions: craig11152

11,730 Posts
Thanks Gary. If I use PVC, is the 2" gap at the bottom as important?
No, not so much, but keep in mind that you need room to reroof... and it could collect dirt/leaves/crud that could grow mold if conditions are right (figuring only a 1/2" gap). 4" sidewall leg is SOP, with at least 1" coverage.

Gary
PS craig has seen way more roof problems than I have, good question for him...

11,730 Posts
I think there is an echo in here...lol.

Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.