DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently had a new t&p valve installed on my water heater thinking that was the cause of water coming out of it. It didn't fix the problem. After showering one loud pop can be heard and then eventually maybe 30 minutes later I will find water in the bucket I put underneath the valve. Trying to figure out where the popping is coming from...I can't tell if it is the water heater or expansion tank. And I'm not understanding why the water that comes out of the valve is cold. I would have thought it to be at least warm water?

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,007 Posts
Test to see if the expansion tank is waterlogged.

Sent from my RCT6213W22 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts
Sounds like high pressure. 2 things to check-
you mentioned an expansion tank. Press in the schrader valve- if water comes out, the x-tank has failed and can no longer absorb the water expansion. Replace the tank and pressurize with air.

Buy a pressure gauge and take readings on your house over a 24 hr period. If it is over 80 psi you need a pressure regulator installed on your incoming service line. You can then set the pressure to about a constant 60psi. This will keep the T&P from popping at 150

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like high pressure. 2 things to check-
you mentioned an expansion tank. Press in the schrader valve- if water comes out, the x-tank has failed and can no longer absorb the water expansion. Replace the tank and pressurize with air.

Buy a pressure gauge and take readings on your house over a 24 hr period. If it is over 80 psi you need a pressure regulator installed on your incoming service line. You can then set the pressure to about a constant 60psi. This will keep the T&P from popping at 150
Would you expect the water that comes out of the valve to be hot or warm even? I was surprised that it was cold water. Maybe it isn't significant?

·
Super Moderator
11,646 Posts
Would you expect the water that comes out of the valve to be hot or warm even? I was surprised that it was cold water. Maybe it isn't significant?
I would expect it to be warm.
But the valve will open for two reasons. Water too hot. Or excessive pressure. Since its not hotter than the valve's limit, l suspect pressure

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
The water in the top should be warm. Your dip tube may be gone. The cold should feed down to the bottom of the tank forcing the hotter water out the top. if the water at the top is cold i would think the dip tube broke off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts